Road tyres question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road tyres question

Has anyone got a set of road tyres on, not AT's.
    The reason I ask is I do a lot of mileage and I'm running on Marshal venture MT's, no complaints what so ever with grip or performance on or off road but want to put them on steel rims and keep them for play times and run road tyres on the car for normal every day use.
    The Marshals are great off road and on but they are very noisy.
    I have done well over 20 thou miles on them and there is still plenty of tread. I swapped front to back approx 2 months ago and there is approx 8mm tread on each.
    The main reason for the noise at speed is caused by the outer edge lugs on the MT tyre having alternate small - large lugs. Due to high-speed motorway use the inner lugs warm on the front more than other parts or rears. As every other lug is only half the size of its neighbours the smaller lug wears out fractionally faster. After around ten thou miles the smaller lug is around 1-2mm lower than the larger lugs and the rumble noise created sounds like a wheel bearing on it's way out so a swap front to back cures the problem for a while.
    A second set of wheels & tyres would be perfect for the driving I do.

Fish
    Last edited by Fish; 29 July 2004, 10:51.
    If it smells like fish, eat it!

Originally posted by Fish
    The reason I ask is I do a lot of mileage and I'm running on Marshal venture MT's, no complaints what so ever with grip or performance on or off road but want to put them on steel rims and keep them for play times and run road tyres on the car for normal every day use.
    I have done well over 20 thou miles on them and there is still plenty of tread. I swapped front to back approx 2 months ago and there is approx 8mm tread on each.
    The main reason for the noise at speed is caused by the outer edge lugs on the MT tyre having alternate small - large lugs. Due to high-speed motorway use the inner lugs warm on the front more than other parts or rears. As every other lug is only half the size of its neighbours the smaller lug wears out fractionally faster. After around ten thou miles the smaller lug is around 1-2mm lower than the larger lugs and the rumble noise created sounds like a wheel bearing on it's way out so a swap front to back cures the problem for a while.

Fish
    Yep, I've got a set of Michelin 4x4 Synchrones on. Very quiet on the road, and stick like glue in the wet.
    Pete

Comment

I had Bridgestone Dueller H/Ts on mine before the BFGs. The Bridgestone are very good as a road tyre, plenty of grip wet and dry, quiet and long lasting. Plus they are available fairly cheaply from your local tyre place.

Cheers

Comment

Thankyou both for the responses. It now looks like it's saving up some pennies for the next couple of weeks and a new set of rims and rubber on the shopping list.

Fish

Comment

Mine came with Yokohama Geolander H/T's and I've got no complaints about them. Seem to be good wet or dry and not too noise at 70+.
          Mike G

Comment

I have BFG Tarmacadams on, they are quiet hold the road well, and don't have a tendancy to squeal much.

Trev
            Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

i've recently fitted a set of cooper discoverers and cannot fault them,great in the wet and very quiet.they were also £10 a tyre cheaper than any big name tyres.

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman
                Mine came with Yokohama Geolander H/T's and I've got no complaints about them. Seem to be good wet or dry and not too noise at 70+.
                Ditto - the surf handles better than my old M-B 230TE Estate with these on. (the merc was on Michelins btw)

[SIZE=7][COLOR=YellowGreen][SIZE=5][FONT=Comic Sans MS]The difference between the men and the boys .................... the price of their toys ![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by UKWolf
                  Ditto - the surf handles better than my old M-B 230TE Estate with these on. (the merc was on Michelins btw)

Mine had Yokohama Geolander I/T's - fabulous road tyres and superb in wet and ice.

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

i've recently fitted a set of cooper discoverers and cannot fault them,great in the wet and very quiet.they were also £10 a tyre cheaper than any big name tyres.

I have Coopers too. Mine are about 2000Km old and they make a really annoying whining noise at above 50km/hr. I was hoping that the noise would disappear as they wore in but it looks like its going to be permanent.

Comment

Fish
                      Hi Kev.

I dare say you've seen these, but hey ho......http://www.4x4accessoriesandtyres.co...res_white.html
                      I believe some members have had these and found them value for money.

Comment

Fish

Hi there Kev..just got back .....u know that the Colway AT's are good enough from the off-roading ventures to-date and very little noise at all speeds
                        Gaz

Comment

Thanks to all for the reply's. I ordered the Dunlop HT and waited but was told after a fortnight that the suppliers had them on back order.

In the mean time the local kwik fit came up trumps with a full set of Bridgestone Dueller HT, fitted and balanced plus will store the marshals till NS4x4 get steel rims in stock and will fit them on the steelies for the princely sum of £327 all in.

And now after a short 160 mile run today can confirm that they are definitely quiet. Grin factor increase by 10 as there is no more rumble.

Many thanks to all

Fish

Comment

Phoned 4x4 accessories to ask on availability of Colway AT to replace punctured tyre [just after rochdale outing] before getting it fixed and found that they didn't have any and didn't know when they would get any...looks like they have colway shortage or just get a batch whenever
                            Gaz

Comment

Now tried the Bridgestone dueler HT (road tyre) off road at Barton and they are fine, no problems getting up the worst slopes and mud sections at all.
                              Nice axel twisters too with little to no sideways sliding and control is very good on decents under no or very light braking.

Imensly impressed with the off road capabilities for a road tyre especialy after coming off a set of Marshall venture MT's. ( but keeping the MT's for serious playing!

Fish

Comment

Working...
                              X