Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kumho M/T vs. BFG KA2 M/T vs. Yoko Geo M/T and mixing M/Ts with A/Ts

Hi all,

My "odd-man-out" Pirelli Scorpion finally bit the dust on the rear (puncture number three and a now bulging carcass) so got to buy at least two new tyres for the rear now. I want to change from A/T to M/T after being defeated on an uphill and particularly slimy section of trail a few weeks ago.

I`ve basically got only 3 choices available here:
    Yokohama Geolander M/T
    BFG KM2 M/T
    Kumho Venture M/T

All the tyres are basically the same price at about £300-£350 each +fitting.
    At that price I`m tempted to go with the BFGs as a "safe-option" but I was really disappointed with how the ATs handled mud, so I have my doubts......

Size will be 33 x 12.5 x R15. Anyone really love or hate either?

Also, I`m thinking to put only two new M/Ts on the rear and leave the A/Ts on the front until I can save pennies and change them too. Anyone think this is a really stupid idea? Weather here is always tropical hot with occasional downpours so no need for any kind of performance in cold weather.

Cheers,
    Jon.

I use these and have no complaints with them

http://www.maxxis.com/AutomobileLigh...ot-Mudder.aspx
    My other cars a QUAD
    (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
    http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Hi sv1000spilot,

Thanks for your post. Unfortunately these tyres are not available here. My choices are limited to the three below.

"I`ve basically got only 3 choices available here:
      Yokohama Geolander M/T
      BFG KM2 M/T
      Kumho Venture M/"

Cheers,
      Jon

Originally posted by sv1000spilot View Post
      I use these and have no complaints with them

http://www.maxxis.com/AutomobileLigh...ot-Mudder.aspx

Comment

IMHO BFG are better than Kumho, especially if they are the same price, Kumhos are significantly cheaper here, which makes them more tempting, but thats not an issue in this case. Never run Yoko's, but always been a fan of BFG A/T tyres as the ultimate allround tyre. Their M/T's are very livable with daily on the road, and actually are quieter than many budget A/T's!

Leave the A/T's on the front like you said, but if they are different dia to the new rears you won't be able to use 4WD unless its really boggy.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Gone with the Kumho KL71 M/Ts

OK, after a lot of searching I`ve ordered a pair of Kumho KL71 M/Ts (the same ones as RoughTrax have for £90) for... wait for it.....£270 per tyre. The BFGs were about 30% more in the end and the Yokos (which look really kick-ass with the highly directional tread) were about 40% and hard to find.

So basically I will leave the 50% worn BFG A/Ts on the front and put these bad boys on the back, wait until it rains then go back to the local waterfall and see how they perform. I doubt I`ll get any real test until I get back to Paraty in the south of the state but let`s see!

Will advise how it goes and if I buy another pair for the front.

Cheers,
          Jon

P.S. does anyone know if it`s "ok" to try and fit a 33" in the underslung spare wheel location? The previous owner left only a 31" there so maybe there was a technical / space reason, or maybe he was just a cheap ass and didn`t buy 5 tyres. Comments please!

P.P.S. tried to attach an image from me and SWMBO`s trip.. nicely surrounded by the rainforest, this is some of the nice bits of trail :-)
          Attached Files

Comment

I asked the same question about an underslung 33, it seems it can be done but a wee bit of fabrication is required.
            Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Translation from Scottish needed...

Given that I was born in Cornwall, can you define "wee bit"? Better still will get off my arse and try to search for it first. Am also considering moving the spare to the tailgate, but not sure if you can then ever open it again (with a 33 mounted).

Anyway, regarding tyres I`m afraid to say I won`t have a nice shiny set of Kumho KL71s because the store ran out. They called while I was out and SWMBO kindly told them that they could send 834s (the older version) instead. They should turn up today.

Also have my eye on a pair of Hankook Dynapro MT tyres to replace the remaining two A/Ts. They seem to have some happy users but would be great to hear from anyone who tried them already.

Right, let`s see about finding some way to carry a 33" as a spare....

Comment

Working...
              X