Refurb or new alloys/steel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refurb or new alloys/steel?

My surf ( 3rd gen1996) is still looking great but sadly the alloys are badly corroded.

I'm in 2 minds as to whether have them refurbished or to my some nice shining chrome type wheels.

What would you do? Anyone got any nice pictures of their wheels?

cheryl

I have a set of these fitted.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...542334050&rd=1

Comment

Originally posted by beach surfer
      My surf ( 3rd gen1996) is still looking great but sadly the alloys are badly corroded.

I'm in 2 minds as to whether have them refurbished or to my some nice shining chrome type wheels.

What would you do? Anyone got any nice pictures of their wheels?

cheryl
      You could do what I do and have Summer tyres (read All Terrain tyres on nice shiny, expensive, polished alloy rims) & a Winter set (read cheapo re-mould Mud Terrain's on rusting cheapo white steel rims).

I won't let the winter road salt touch my alloys! You can also put the MT's on in summer for a spot of off roading!!

Nevillef

Comment

New chromed steel wheels, are surprisingly reasonable, but not sure how they would look on a 3rd gen (proper alloys may look better). If you not already see http://www.bronco4x4.com/ or call Nene Valley Off road for a good price/advice on sizes/offsets etc http://www.4x4tyres.co.uk/

I got details of my old set here:
        http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/wor...eels_tyres.htm

and pics (chrome directional):

Not sure what these are (some sort of split/rim alloy/steel wheels that were on my new surf):
        No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Just another thought - have you had prices on refurb? When I was looking at getting my alloys on my other car refurbed I found it was going to be quite expensive, delivery/collection to the refurb company (unless they are local) plus you have to pay to get all the tryes removed/replaced which can add up to quite a bit unless you know a friendly tyre place. Plus the awkwardness of having a car on blocks for a few days or whatever.

Also I found that what refurb companies do varies greatly so make sure you find out their exact process - some strip right down to bare metal etc, others just "touch up" - one said they do not even remove the trye fully to do the job! (hmmm, thats going to be a good refurb job then...)

I would only do this route if you really like the wheels and can get a good price etc.
          No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

if anyone needs a good refurb place my dad got his done from A & S Tyres and Wheels and they sent them off somewhere. I still cannot believe the difference! About £50 a corner and he did 2 at a time while using a mates spare,,, wouldnt be difficult borrow a few spares from local forum members and your sorted

Will try and find before and after pics.
            Tim
            Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

there's o bloke on the forum called "wheelrepairit" that does refurbs (i think??)

i got some cheapy chrome steels with colway mts
              http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/att...achmentid=4831
              Last edited by da SLUG man; 13 April 2005, 17:58.
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Thanks Guys,

I've taken another look now the rain has stopped and I think the alloys are in such a bad condition that it would be better to replace them with some nice chrome steel wheels.
                I've order a set with new tyres from 4x4tyres.co.uk as suggested earlier. Hopefully they will be here by next week for the following weekend conversion.
                As for the old alloys- I'm not too sure what to do? The tyres on them ( rear ones at least another 20k ) are in good condition. The front two tyres are wearing thin on the inner edges ( need to get the tracking/alignment done?).
                It was also suggested earlier to keep these for winter when all the snow and salt is around.Don't think I'll get much for them if i can sell them. Someone who does a bit of off roading may want a spare set?

cheryl

Comment

Thanks Guys,

I've taken another look now the rain has stopped and I think the alloys are in such a bad condition that it would be better to replace them with some nice chrome steel wheels.
                  I've order a set with new tyres from 4x4tyres.co.uk as suggested earlier. Hopefully they will be here by next week for the following weekend conversion.
                  As for the old alloys- I'm not too sure what to do? The tyres on them ( rear ones at least another 20k ) are in good condition. The front two tyres are wearing thin on the inner edges ( need to get the tracking/alignment done?).
                  It was also suggested earlier to keep these for winter when all the snow and salt is around.Don't think I'll get much for them if i can sell them. Someone who does a bit of off roading may want a spare set?

cheryl
                  Are they 16inch and if so how much would you want for them.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
                    Are they 16inch and if so how much would you want for them.
                    Ooh, I've ended up putting them on ebay before I read your last post Andy.

Wasn't too sure to keep them or not but decided to get rid because they were taken up too much room in the garage.

I have had no comments from my friends yet about the wheels because they haven't seen them! I'm hoping they will think that the new chrome steel ones make the surf look better.

BTW. Did you find out anymore about those Bungy Poles?

regards
                    Bryan ( cheryls partner )

Comment

BTW. Did you find out anymore about those Bungy Poles?

regards
                      Bryan ( cheryls partner )
                      I will ring you on Monday about the poles, have been looking to see what make they are, but I need to move them to see.

Comment

Have just had all four wheels powder coated for £180 on my '96 surf (that includes vat!).
                        Dropped the surf off in the morning and picked up same day. Tyres were removed and they did an excellent job. My alloys were not damaged but did look a mess due to corrosion.

Cost £45 per wheel with 12 months guarantee and they now look the dogs B------S !!. The silver powder coat matches the body trim very well.
                        I did take a bit of a gamble as I was not to sure what the finish would be like. Fortunately the gamble paid off.

The work was done by Top Marques of Stoke on Trent, Staffs. 01782 341007

If you like the original high polish finish they can do this but it costs a lot more.

Johnny.

Comment

Working...
                        X