How narrow on standard rims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How narrow on standard rims?

Sorry for possibly posting an old topic, but I had trouble finding an answer:

I have the usual Toyota rims with 265/70/R15, if I am not mistaken. Crappy Falken tyres, not very nice. In the not so distant future, I need to replace them, and I was thinking about General ATs or BF-Goodrich ATs (if I can't find the General AT).

However, I would like to have narrower tyres, due to price, fuel consumption,... basically, it doesn’t seem advantageous to have such wide expensive tyres (here in Rwanda, you have to pay at least $200 for a 265/70/R15 Goodrich).

So, how narrow can I go on the standard rims that the car comes with?

Thanks for the help,

Nick

The early 2nd gens had 215's, but may look a little silly if you have wheel arch extensions.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      The early 2nd gens had 215's, but may look a little silly if you have wheel arch extensions.
      So that means I could go for 235s without changing the wheels?

Cheers
      Nick

Comment

Yeah, can't remember if the 215's go on 6 or 7" rims, but 225/75-15 were standard equipment with 7". so 235's should be OK
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Coming back to the old topic again:

I was wondering if I changed from 265x70R15 to 235 or 225 whether the difference in tyre diameter wouldn't be too much. Should I may be go for 235x80R15?

Any advice would be very welcome, especially if someone has info on the list of tyre sizes that are compatible with the standard 15" rims.

Cheers
          Nick

Comment

235x80 will be 29.8 inches diameter, standard ones are 29.61 so you should be OK, 235x75 are slightly smaller.

Cheers

Comment

Have a play with this - does some cool stuff! Well, not really, but saves you having to work it all out.
              http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?

Comment

Working...
              X