Bull / A bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bull / A bars

While my surf has been away (and still is) having the fuel injector pump sorted (again) I've been thinking about what minor jobs I need to do when I get it back and one of these is the A bar.

On mine the cross member is rusted through near where the spot lights are generally mounted although the rest of the structure is fine so I got looking at a replacement option.

My question for you wonderful folks is whether the mounting for a nudge bar of some description is Surf specific or could I just slot one on from a Pajero or Shogun for example?

Also are the mountings specific for certain models or could I fit a bar from say a 2005 to my 93 (plucked the year from thin air as an example, not actually looked for 2005 bars!)?
    Leaky Surf

Cheap fix. length of angle iron and some ally to cover.

"B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Looks good that actually. Or you could buy some stainless exhaust pipe and replace that section.

Comment

That's not a bad idea. I think mine is slightly different to yours (ooo er) in so much that the cross bar is welded in. Been that long since I've seen it I can't remember. Is yours bolted in Wolfracer?

The Bull bars I've been looking at all look a bit pants for the surf with some making the truck look as though it is wearing glasses, the style I like is similar to what Robs Shogun is sporting in his avatar.

That cheap fix idea though sounds easy enough, out of curiosity how much ddid it roughly cost in materials?
        Leaky Surf

Comment

Its actually my surf but yeh they are pretty menacing.
          Last edited by Rob5464; 7 March 2013, 21:34.

Comment

Ignore the missing grill but you get the idea. They are quite expensive though.

I need some new pictures too

Comment

Originally posted by Mark7081 View Post
              That's not a bad idea. I think mine is slightly different to yours (ooo er) in so much that the cross bar is welded in. Been that long since I've seen it I can't remember. Is yours bolted in Wolfracer?

The Bull bars I've been looking at all look a bit pants for the surf with some making the truck look as though it is wearing glasses, the style I like is similar to what Robs Shogun is sporting in his avatar.

That cheap fix idea though sounds easy enough, out of curiosity how much ddid it roughly cost in materials?
              Mine was not welded in. There are 2 tabs with holes in. you just unbolt all the cr@p and you are left with the outer frame. I put angle iron underneath the ally for strength so I could stand on it if I got in a mess off roading. But you could just get the ally.

£9.38 from B&Q or prob a lot less from a metal seller...
              http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/hardware/...H-30mm-9284075

or the same in black?

Last edited by Wolfracer; 7 March 2013, 21:53.
              "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
              www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Rob5464 View Post

Ignore the missing grill but you get the idea. They are quite expensive though.

I need some new pictures too
                I had one of them on mine but I couldn't cope with the way it wobbled about. In the end I took off the bits that wrapped around the head lights. In my opinion it looked much better.

Comment

Mine is solid since I tightened everything up when i got it.

Comment

ooops I squinted at your avatar and read the little bit about fixing a Shogun. Can't recognise a Surf, how embarresing!

Any how Rob, that isn't a standard Surf Bar is it, what was it from as it looks as though it was made for the truck? I'd be quite happy with the center section, kinda reminds me of a US cop car's nudge bars. Ambobeer, do you have any piccys of yours with the side bits off?

Thanks for the info Wolfracer, now I've seen yours in matt black I'm starting to toy with that idea too!

Thanks guys, lots of ideas there. Any more though are most welcome.
                    Leaky Surf

Comment

I forget the make but its not a Toyota bar. Something engineering.

Look on ebay for people breaking hilux's you might get hold of one cheap, there is quite a few available.

Comment

I'll be selling this lot soon when i get my arb bumper mounted.

Comment

i am selling this bull bar £130

Comment

Thanks again folks for the input.

Storm, that bar looks just like what I was after. Tried pm ing you but doesnt like it. Is there much modification needed to mount your bar and is it off your truck already?
                            Leaky Surf

Comment

8 bolts to fit on the surf

still on my one but only takes 20mins to remove it
                              http://www.hpoc.co.uk/community/inde...howtopic=38812

if you want to pm me

Comment

Working...
                              X