• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd gen Surf Roof bar and Tow bar info

If your Surf has roof rails this worked for my 1998 model:-

Found the thule part numbers and the pdf file from thule themselves:-
    http://www.thule.com/PabloImages/Document/68/1668.pdf
    Page 2 ,diagram 2, the diamond shapped channel nuts will not fit securely therefor:-

To lock the end pieces into the roof rails I went to a local stockist of 'UNISTRUT' (found via a search on line) and bought - 8 X 6mm tapped channel nuts for the 1000 series track and they fit the roof rails perfectly and only cost aprox 20p each.

I posted this earlier in the year. Mine have been on now for almost 20k miles, damn near constantly loaded with between 2 and 4 sets of ladders without any problems what so ever.

Tow bar now fit on my Surf from Towequipe (http://www.towequipe.co.uk/) and very easy to do, it came with all the fitting and instuctions which easy to follow. Costs aprox £110 with stainless bumper protector and twin electrics.

Hope this helps others,
    Fish

As Ciaran requested here are some pictures :-
    The centre one shows the supplied diamond fixing, bolt and the new 'Unistrut type channel nut
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Fish; 2 July 2004, 23:47.
    If it smells like fish, eat it!

How about some pics Fish...

Comment

Originally posted by Cmar
      How about some pics Fish...
      And the Towequipe tow bracket (I should have photographed this befor going on the moor romp whilst it was still nice and shiney black).
      As I only have one of those 2' deep trailers with no lights on, I have not bothered to fit the electrics yet. Not much point when even the new fog light only lasted 20 mins at the last Romp

Fish
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Fish; 2 July 2004, 23:48.

Comment

What are the prices for the roof rack components Fish?

Comment

Thule Roof rack, thanks to Fish

Got It, a Thule roof rack on the Surfs factory fitted T-racks. Thanks Fish

Like he said, you need UNISTRUT M6 channel spring nuts to fit the feet. Took me only 2 weeks to find a stockist in this area, but once I had them, the were like gold.
          Fitted the roof rack, earlier this evening, piece of cake.

Here's my parts list, I ordered it from rbs, www.roofbox.co.uk ; www.rbc-wholesale.co.uk ; www.van-racks.co.uk

TU4700 Thule Rapid system tracker feet (4) no.4700 £45.06
          TU4715 Thule Rapid system tracker adapter kit no.4715 £25.49
          TU861 Thule Rapid System 120cm aerobars no.861 £38.30

UNISTRUT M6 channel nuts, 8 in total £1.68

I got myself also the One-key system, TU588 Thule same key locks £8.51
          and the TU821 Thule Xpedition carrier basket (99cm wide x 158cm) £195.70

photos to follow, have to crop them first, they are a bit too large

Comment

and the Towbar...

Towbar is a PCT one with twin electrics, 12n-12S audible relay kit and bumper protector.
            Had it fitted by one of those mobile fitters in the area, total cost was £250.

Same as for the Landcruiser Colorado, part no. TTY4001 £146, bumper protector for double sockets part no. ZM1163 £8.93

photos will follow.....

www.pct-automotive.co.uk

Unlike some others (like the cheaper ones, ref Ebay, PCT has Type Approval 94/20/EC and is almost similar to the Witter Towbar range. So I have been told!

Comment

Roof Rack photos

Attached Files

Comment

Tow Bar photos

Attached Files

Comment

Thule Carrier Basket

Attached Files

Comment

And very nice it is too m8, glad I could help.

Fish

Comment

unistrut

hiya bought all the other bits for roof bars where can i get unistrut bits from struggling done a search no joy can you remember cheers hopefully

Found the thule part numbers and the pdf file from thule themselves:-
                      http://www.thule.com/PabloImages/Document/68/1668.pdf
                      Page 2 ,diagram 2, the diamond shapped channel nuts will not fit securely therefor:-

To lock the end pieces into the roof rails I went to a local stockist of 'UNISTRUT' (found via a search on line) and bought - 8 X 6mm tapped channel nuts for the 1000 series track and they fit the roof rails perfectly and only cost aprox 20p each.

I posted this earlier in the year. Mine have been on now for almost 20k miles, damn near constantly loaded with between 2 and 4 sets of ladders without any problems what so ever.

Tow bar now fit on my Surf from Towequipe (http://www.towequipe.co.uk/) and very easy to do, it came with all the fitting and instuctions which easy to follow. Costs aprox £110 with stainless bumper protector and twin electrics.

Hope this helps others,
                      Fish

As Ciaran requested here are some pictures :-
                      The centre one shows the supplied diamond fixing, bolt and the new 'Unistrut type channel nut[/QUOTE]

Comment

unistrut

got all the bits for my roof bars but cant find a unistrut stokist done a search no good can you remember where you got yours cheers hopefully
                        Originally posted by skipkoo
                        Got It, a Thule roof rack on the Surfs factory fitted T-racks. Thanks Fish

Like he said, you need UNISTRUT M6 channel spring nuts to fit the feet. Took me only 2 weeks to find a stockist in this area, but once I had them, the were like gold.
                        Fitted the roof rack, earlier this evening, piece of cake.

Here's my parts list, I ordered it from rbs, www.roofbox.co.uk ; www.rbc-wholesale.co.uk ; www.van-racks.co.uk

TU4700 Thule Rapid system tracker feet (4) no.4700 £45.06
                        TU4715 Thule Rapid system tracker adapter kit no.4715 £25.49
                        TU861 Thule Rapid System 120cm aerobars no.861 £38.30

UNISTRUT M6 channel nuts, 8 in total £1.68

I got myself also the One-key system, TU588 Thule same key locks £8.51
                        and the TU821 Thule Xpedition carrier basket (99cm wide x 158cm) £195.70

photos to follow, have to crop them first, they are a bit too large

Comment

Originally posted by ingers
                          got all the bits for my roof bars but cant find a unistrut stokist done a search no good can you remember where you got yours cheers hopefully
                          I have some which i bought but did not use but i do not want to post my e-mail address or phone number if you would like them give me some contact info and you can have them for £2.00 + p+p.

Comment

Originally posted by bell end billy
                            I have some which i bought but did not use but i do not want to post my e-mail address or phone number if you would like them give me some contact info and you can have them for £2.00 + p+p.
                            Hi
                            If Ingers doesn't want them then I'll buy them off you. failing that can you tell me where you got them from please?
                            I'm in Hampshire too so could come and collect if necessary - good excuse for a ride through the Forest.
                            Contact infor in my profile.

Cheers
                            Keith

Comment

unistrut

QUOTE=bell end billy]I have some which i bought but did not use but i do not want to post my e-mail address or phone number if you would like them give me some contact info and you can have them for £2.00 + p+p.[/QUOTE]07970922210 that would be real helpfull are they the ones listed to do the job

Comment

Working...
                              X