Spare wheel underbody

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare wheel underbody

Hi I have just taken off my tailgate mounted spare wheel and wish to store it under the body. I have seen this on 2.5 surfs but not on diesel 3.0 litre ones like mine (93 L reg). Does anyone know where I can get a underbody wheel cage kit or would a 2.5 wheelcage fit if i can find one. Also is it possible to get a replacement panel to fit where I have removed the swing out spare wheel mount.

Thanks

Eric

Please bear with me (regarding replies),as I'm new to all this forum stuff!

Originally posted by erictheviking
    Hi I have just taken off my tailgate mounted spare wheel and wish to store it under the body. I have seen this on 2.5 surfs but not on diesel 3.0 litre ones like mine (93 L reg). Does anyone know where I can get a underbody wheel cage kit or would a 2.5 wheelcage fit if i can find one. Also is it possible to get a replacement panel to fit where I have removed the swing out spare wheel mount.

Thanks

Eric

Please bear with me (regarding replies),as I'm new to all this forum stuff!

Suggestion - do a search on spare wheel carriers - there's enough poeple on here with underslung rears who want the rear mounted ones - maybe you can do a swap???

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

The grass is always greener!
      Derek :
      1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
      [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Del all you need is the winder mechanism and the handle. I think all Surfs have the crossmember and the tapped holes for the mechanism even if they were built with a tail mounted spare.

Surfs with smaller tyres had the winding mechanism bolted straight onto the shell, and the ones that were factory fitted with 31 10.5 15's have a rightangle spacer between the winder and the shell
        Last edited by Elvz; 22 June 2004, 23:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Elvz
          Del all you need is the winder mechanism and the handle. I think all Surfs have the crossmember and the tapped holes for the mechanism even if they were built with a tail mounted spare.

Surfs with smaller tyres had the winding mechanism bolted straight onto the shell, and the ones that were factory fitted with 31 10.5 15's have a rightangle spacer between the winder and the shell
          There are also a couple of guide tracks bolted to the underneath - about 30 inches long and bent down at the end. They are bu**ers to get off as the bolts will be rusted, and you don't really need them. Everything else just bolts straight up - just did this on mine.

Cheers

Comment

I have thought about doing this too as I reckon it would look better with the spare out of the way underneath.

The main problem as I see it isn't bolting the carrier underneath (assuming I could source one) but that I would be left with a tailgate with a lot of holes to fill, the number plate and light offset way to the left and a big moulded depression where the mechanism was mounted on it. Sorting all that seems a lot of work. If I could get a new (well, second hand!) tailgate there would still be the work in sprayng it to match plus changing the lock/window switch over plus either finding grommets for the holes on the rear wing (and I'm sure the look of this would grate after a while) or a bit of a job filling and spraying.

Guess I'll be leaving the spare on the external carrier!
            [SIZE=2][COLOR=White]You can't have everything. Where would you put it?[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Flannelmeister
              I have thought about doing this too as I reckon it would look better with the spare out of the way underneath.

The main problem as I see it isn't bolting the carrier underneath (assuming I could source one) but that I would be left with a tailgate with a lot of holes to fill, the number plate and light offset way to the left and a big moulded depression where the mechanism was mounted on it. Sorting all that seems a lot of work. If I could get a new (well, second hand!) tailgate there would still be the work in sprayng it to match plus changing the lock/window switch over plus either finding grommets for the holes on the rear wing (and I'm sure the look of this would grate after a while) or a bit of a job filling and spraying.

Guess I'll be leaving the spare on the external carrier!
              It ain't that bad a job.

The holes are just a filler job - use a ball pein hammer to make a depression and to allow a reasonable amount of filler. The big depression is there on all the tailgates - it's covered by the new number plate carrier that you will need to get (got mine on eBay).

The window lock switch is a problem. I used the existing one and extend the cables, fitted it through the blanked off hole on the driver's side and stuck it in with some expoxy putty from the rear. I'll get a new one when I can be bothered.

Got to sand down the tailgate, fill it properly and spray when the weather improves.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks for the info. Rear number plate carrier huh?

How is this attached to the tailgate? Would it be feasable to get one off a scrap surf instead of having to change the whole tailgate?
                [SIZE=2][COLOR=White]You can't have everything. Where would you put it?[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Flannelmeister
                  Thanks for the info. Rear number plate carrier huh?

How is this attached to the tailgate? Would it be feasable to get one off a scrap surf instead of having to change the whole tailgate?
                  you could by the full tailgate off HILUX he has a couple the reg plate look like this
                  Attached Files
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                  (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                  X