Another Bike Rack question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Bike Rack question

I'm looking for a bike rack that attaches to the hatchback.
    Thule have advised me that the one they supply is not suitable for Surfs 'cos of the electric window..............Why ?

The only alternative for me is to have a towbar fitted or use roof bar type racks .
    Anyone out there know of any make that is suitable for the hatchback?

As you've got a 96, you'll have the top opening rear door.. yes?? If so, although Thule arn't happy about it, you should still be able to use one which uses hooks to attach to the top and bottom of the door and is tensioned by straps. I've got one I bought a few years back that works on hatchbacks and estates (but not 2nd gen Surfs) although it wouldn't fit if you have the rear door mounted spare wheel as the horizontal bar needs to rest on the bottom of the rear window (with a great big foam pad to stop any damage).

I bought mine from Halfords but not sure if they still do the same model but it's not a Thule one. I've gone for roof bars and roof mounted cycle carriers for our bikes on the Surf.
    Mike G

Comment

Cheers Mike that's what I hoped.

Yes I have the top opening door and my spare wheel is underneath the boot.

Do you not find it a bit high to have the roof mounted racks ?

Comment

To be honest I don't know yet. We always carried the bikes on the top of the Volvo 940 and decided that's still the best on the Surf, what with having a 2nd gen.

I've yet to put them up there, although I've fitted the roof bars to make sure I can secure them sufficiently. I'm sure I'll need the caravan step to get the bikes lifted up that high. Still, they'll only be a bit higher than the top of the caravan when it's all connected up (I hope).
        Mike G

Comment

So would i be right in thinking that a 2nd gen with drop down tailgate would need a towbar mounted bike carrier? or has anyone any other ideas?

ship

Comment

It would seem that way Ship.

I went to a few different suppliers of bike carriers and was told that I would need a high carrier to clear the number plate and lights but there is nothing standard to fit.
            They were of the opinion that the top straps would not come out straight enough if put under the spoiler and too much pressure would be on the spoiler if fitted over the top.

Eventually I took a chance and bought one from Halfords that is on offer at the mo.Although some one there thought it wouldn't fit.
            It's a high 3 bike rack for hatchback cars.
            On a car the bikes would be above the roof but on the Surf it still fits perfectly above the lights etc and is lower so the straps can fit under the spoiler and angle down nicely.

So a load of fuss for nothing luckily and it cost me £60 in the end .

Comment

[QUOTE=TonyPev]It would seem that way Ship.

so the straps can fit under the spoiler and angle down nicely.

i aint got a spoiler

or a tow bar

anyone want to buy a bike

ship

Comment

So your spare is underneath aswell Ship?

How much for the bike ?
                Last edited by TonyPev; 23 June 2004, 17:03.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyPev
                  So your spare is underneath aswell Ship?

How much for the bike ?

the spare is underneath, tony, and i think i,ll need to keep the bike for when the head goes

ship

Comment

Working...
                  X