No announcement yet.

Full Length roof rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry about delays, I am 'Captain Busy' all the time!
    I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

Any luck with the photos?
      Driving from the UK to SA for Combat Stress.

Comment

Finally got some pictures sorted!

OK, finally, here are some pics so I hope they've been worth the wait (but I doubt it!).

THIS should be a link to the folder in my Skydrive.

It's taken me an hour to get this far with it so hopefully it works!

If not I'll have to open a PhotoBucket account I think?!

Cheers,

Ray.

Comment

Looks like I missed the window of interest, sorry guys.

Comment

Originally posted by lord_flashart View Post
            Looks like I missed the window of interest, sorry guys.
            Nope, still of interest! I'm strongly considering this. It does the trick I guess? Strong etc?
            Driving from the UK to SA for Combat Stress.

Comment

I dont want to drill the roof and the front bar on mine damaged the body where it clamps above the door on my previous shell. I do have two Thule clamps and a bar which used to mount the roof lights which caused the damage - if I can stop these damaging the body on my new shell and my new paint then its academic for the front section.

Would four or six of the sucker jobs drilled with a U clamp bolted through and a bar across the width be enough to support a canadian style Kayak?

My only concern is a sucker failure and loss of some expensive kit..... how long do they stay stuck for and how reliable is the strength of the suction?

Also do they damage the paint?

Comment

The roof rack is strong as hell, it's made of industrial 41mm x 21mm slotted Unistrut which is galvanised steel and then it has a solid 3mm aluminium chequerplate panel on the top so it's not even that heavy.

I've had it up there a while and only needed to move the suckers once when I wanted to wash it again, when I did there was no damage underneath, only the marks of where dirt had attached itself around the edge of the sucker which then washed off..

I made my roof wet before attaching it (like you do when you lick the sucker on your SatNav holder for the windscreen) and it hasn't shifted at all, just make sure it's clean under there and no grit otherwise that'll damage the paint work.

I've had the 33" spare up there along with camping gear and then the surf board on top with no issues as my usual load.
                As unusual loads (for me) I've taken the surf board racks off (also Unistrut, studding and some other bits) and had a sofa on the roof and one in the back and also most of a tree on the top, all with no issues.

Let me know if you want to know anything else.

Comment

Sounds genius! and well worth a go for the low cost / practicality. I dont carry massively heavy weights just awkward ones like the kayak and now my truck is becoming a bit shiny would be loathed to start drilling holes in the roof or damaging the roof seams again.

Comment

i'm liking this idea!!! Was wondering if you still had the order list from uni-strut u made? Make life alot simpiler to order what you've already made and make up to your pic's. I'm not a surfer so surf bracket not needed. Nice job!!!!

Comment

I'll try to get a list together but as I sell the stuff at work I just grabbed parts off of the shelf without really planning it!

Comment

Don't suppose anyone is up for making me a full length one? (thought I'd ask), can't believe how expensive these can be!!!

Comment

If you have access to a spanner and a hack saw you are good to go with a similar setup to mine.

If you're ever near Dorchester, Dorset (not too far from Wiltshire) then you can take a look, pick the bits you need and I'll go through it all with you if you'd like?

Cheers,

Ray.

Comment

Saw this on ebay if any one is interested

Comment

Thanks Ray.....that may have to be the plan!!

Balllsy - I have my eyes on it already! Cheers!!

Comment

Working...
                              X