Gps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gps

Hi everyone, I am looking to buy a gps system for a winter skiing trip in Europe in my surf. I have a PDA and tried using the gps on that but it was ****. I want to buy something like this (http://www.handtec.com/acatalog/copy....html#a1_21158) but know nothing about gps, any advice?
    Keep it greasey so it'll go down easy...

Originally posted by Pika1971
    Hi everyone, I am looking to buy a gps system for a winter skiing trip in Europe in my surf. I have a PDA and tried using the gps on that but it was ****. I want to buy something like this (http://www.handtec.com/acatalog/copy....html#a1_21158) but know nothing about gps, any advice?

try looking at the following site: www.globalpositioningsystems.c o.uk for a variety of kit and links
    or www.pocketgps.co.uk
    Gaz

Comment

what software are you using on your PDA, I'm running TOMTOM5 on mine and have had no problems at all.
      Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

The GPS depends upon you unit....I have a IPAQ With an Arkon [Sirf-ii] cradle and thats fine. Some software you may have to set up using the NMEA configuration [like memory-map on mine, even though there is a setting for SIRF connections]
        Gaz

Comment

Unit

I have a motorola a1000, its really a phone but has agps. I don't want to use that though, I want to buy a completely separate unit.

Comment

I use an IPAQ 2210 running TomTom v5.0 and just recently added Memory-Map v5 software
            Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
              I use an IPAQ 2210 running TomTom v5.0 and just recently added Memory-Map v5 software
              Im running Tomtom too , I use that for on road stuff . then you can use the Tomtom reciever to feed the data to other bits of software. I use Beeline GPS for walking to co-ordinates when geocaching and a gem of a software package called GPS TUNER , which you can create your own maps from jpegs , ideal for greenlaning as you can see contours as well. All this runs on a IPAQ 2210 with 512Mb memory.
              http://www.darksidesolutions.co.uk - Web Solutions

Comment

garmin dps stuff is good. their handheld units a well made and easy to use.

Comment

TomTom

I ended up buying a tomtom GO 700, seems good, even has bluetooth for connecting to a mobile phone, although it is proving a pig to get my mobile to work with it.

Comment

I use tom tom 5 every day in a artic and recently i took it over to the US to which it performed with no problems at all.. One thing i will suggest to anybody thinking of going the PDA route is to get a amplified cradle mine has a receiver built into it saves all thoughs orrible wires across the dash, as if i havent got enough wires with HF radios in the back of the truck as well..
                    Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

I use a tomtom Go 500 and I can't fault it. It's superb
                      The right to bear arms...only slightly more ridicu

Comment

ive got a Sony Clie TH55 bluetoothed to a Navman GPS4460. Great stuff but the newer one has a postcode search which I wish I had!
                        Tim
                        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by mark g8awo
                          I use tom tom 5 every day in a artic and recently i took it over to the US to which it performed with no problems at all.. One thing i will suggest to anybody thinking of going the PDA route is to get a amplified cradle mine has a receiver built into it saves all thoughs orrible wires across the dash, as if i havent got enough wires with HF radios in the back of the truck as well..
                          i have it on my phone O2 Xda IIs and i love it
                          just getting it in all my vans and my 7.5 tonner how do you set it up to avoid low bridges????

its not something i ever worried about before
                          [url="http://www.frappr.com/smurfowners"]Surf MAp[/url]

Comment

you can not set it up to avoid bridges......unless you want to spend hours setting up avoids

if you log onto www.pocketgps.co.uk and look at the forum pages their is a guy on their giving the database away with 2000 bridges to use as POI`s
                            Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Originally posted by cellone
                              i have it on my phone O2 Xda IIs and i love it
                              just getting it in all my vans and my 7.5 tonner how do you set it up to avoid low bridges????

its not something i ever worried about before

If you can install POIedit [free software] you can then automatically set up preferences to download items from the database [poi own needs subscription] but you can then autolink to the pocketgps sight for the info...there is low bridges on there.
                              Gaz

Comment

Working...
                              X