Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereo fitting

Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying a Sony WX-C570 for the Surf. Has anyone fitted one that could tell me if its just a case of slotting it into place, i don't really want to have to start mucking around with the dash to make it fit. Had a lot of fun taking the dash off on Monday to fit a Toyota double din unit which i guess must have been from an MR2 or something. Shame they didn't tell me it needed an amp..... Any other suggestions for a double din unit with tape and cd? Ideally i'd go for an Alpine. Does anyone know of a unit which has a detachable face?

Many thanks,

Nick.
    Last edited by SurfnTurf; 31 March 2005, 10:17.

Sorry mate you have to take the dash out to remove/install a stereo properly.
    Millions of stereos with face off but bear in mind they will stick out with the face on. Not a problem - I have an Alpine with motorised face and its fine
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Do you deffo want a double-din unit? Have you thought about getting a single-din unit and a blanking plate or one of those universal tray things to take up the second slot? Much more choice in what stereo to get then, plus less issues with the removable face.

Most stereos nowadays have a removable surround around them - remove for fitting in japanese cars like the surf, or leave it on for fitting on other cars where the stereo slides in and out of a slot in the dash with the use of a removable frame that comes with the stereo.
      No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I know what you mean about the single din units, so much more choice and loads more with face off (and i think better quality). I think it's just one of those things when the awkward option seems to suit you best. I like having the tape deck as i can listen to demos the band have recorded , (handy as i spend most of my time in the Surf) and i get hooked on 1 cd at a time so will listen to it in the car, take it out to listen to at work, then back in the car, take it out at home etc, so messing around with a disc changer could be a bit of a pain. I think i saw a pioneer double din unit with face off, but can't imagine carrying that round in my pocket! Codlord, it's funny you should reply, i was just on your site... very nice, and it's where i got the info on removing the dash at the weekend, so you've already helped me without even knowing it! Dirtydog, you've started something here, me and my brother are arguing over wether the Surf or the Landcruiser is the better looking truck...

Comment

Originally posted by SurfnTurf
          Hi Guys,
          Dirtydog, you've started something here, me and my brother are arguing over wether the Surf or the Landcruiser is the better looking truck...
          I personally prefer the look of the Surf but then its my car, the LC is my Dads. Funny though, both a similar age and both look much better then the later model.
          Tim
          Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Glad the site helped you.

It's not going to help you have you with the tape playing but have you thought about getting a CD MP3 player? If you have a PC and CD burner you can copy around 10 albums onto one CD so its like a CD changer but without the hassle, plus you don't need to keep any original CD's in the car. It's what I have in my car and my old surf (although I still got a wacky CD/MD double-din unit in the new surf, may change it sometime).

Get your band to start digitally recording, then you don't need the tape player!
            No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

if you are stuck looking for a double din stereo try yacht chandleries, most stereos that are designed to go in boats are double din and there are quite a few of them. i think clarion make a few.

Comment

http://www.the-internet-shop.co.uk/C...-_pyramid.html

These work, and you get sound out of them, and whats more, they dont cost the earth!
                Anyway, its all in the speakers, I think!
                Back in the world of Surfdom

Comment

id check on that site for a contact phone number and check e bays feedback for it as i was suprised to read of all the negative feedback and couldnt find a number on the site.
                  ITS GOOD BUT ITS NOT RIGHT ?

Comment

Working...
                  X