Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing Capacity

Hi

I am picking up my first Surf 95 3.0 SSR-X (diesel) in a week and I have been looking to find the maximum towing capacity.

I am thinking of getting an Ifor Williams double horsebox (HB510) which has a maximum gross weight of 2,584Kg.

Can anyone help with the book weight or has any help on their experiences? Lots of people have said it will be alright but just wanted something a little more certain.

Thanks

Towing

Hi

Not sure this is of any use but the figures for the 2003 model Toyota Hilux 4wd pickup (4-droor, '270' model) are as follows:

Unladen weight: 1715kgs
    Gross vehicle weight plated 2780kg
    gross train weight (car + trailer) 4675kg
    towing capacities: 2250kg braked, 750kg unbraked.

Hope it gives some idea.

Rob

Comment

Towing

Hi,
      I have a 1992 2.4 td and beleave me I have towed some stuff with it transit vans loaded and unloaded.
      transporter trailer with 2+ ton on it if yours have the adjustable sus then I recomend putting it on hard to tow with or the back end does play about abit.
      Witch can be fun but not with horses don't think they would like it much.
      If I can help anymore please do get in touch.
      Paul.

Comment

dangerous man to know

As anyone who has watched Strongest Man in the World knows a human can tow a 10 tonne tractor unit from an articulated lorry. The actual amount of 'grunt' and 'pull' isn't the issue - the towing weights are maximum values that the towing vehicle can control.

If you try towing above the maximum weight, you're risking losing control on bends, down hills and low grip situations. Ignore them at your peril!! We have all seen what happens when a 300kg caravan battles with a 900kg car - everybody loses.

Comment

Originally posted by robnw67
          As anyone who has watched Strongest Man in the World knows a human can tow a 10 tonne tractor unit from an articulated lorry. The actual amount of 'grunt' and 'pull' isn't the issue - the towing weights are maximum values that the towing vehicle can control.

If you try towing above the maximum weight, you're risking losing control on bends, down hills and low grip situations. Ignore them at your peril!! We have all seen what happens when a 300kg caravan battles with a 900kg car - everybody loses.
          yep heres one
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

I had my '94 3.0ltr auto weighed at the local rubbish tip. It weighed in at 2080kg. Recommended towing by most roganisiations is 85% of that (ie 85% of kerb weight) You could go to 100% but thats as far as I'd push it.

I have seen 2,500kg max tow capacity mentioned before. You need to check with Toyota coz if you exceed the max designed tow and the boys in blue catch you it'll be expensive plus the points and they'll make you leave the trailer where they catch you and you'll need to arrange collection.

Not to mention the strain on the Surf.

Hope this helps.
            Mart

......surf's up pal!

Comment

Working...
            X