• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Bumper (?)

Hi

Not sure if this site is any good to anyone:

http://www.carpartswholesale.com/cgi...&model=4RUNNER

I was thinking of getting a new bumper cos mine's rotted to bits. Not sure why the tyre size seems to matter though. Maybe it's something to do with the flared wheel arches...............?

Rob

Originally posted by robnw67
    Hi

Not sure if this site is any good to anyone:

http://www.carpartswholesale.com/cgi...&model=4RUNNER

I was thinking of getting a new bumper cos mine's rotted to bits. Not sure why the tyre size seems to matter though. Maybe it's something to do with the flared wheel arches...............?

Rob
    I had a look at that site. The 2nd gen was facelifted in '92 so maybe the rear bumper was modified. I'm guessing that the 15"x7" rims thing is a reference to a pre facelifted 2nd gen. They all look the same in the pics but maybe the mounts on the back are different. Flared wheel arches only connect with the end caps and they are the same for either 2nd gen.

I was like you but couldnt afford the huge cost of a new set so I bought two new end caps ok, but I took off the rusty centre piece, sanded it to bits, used isopon p40 and fibreglass mesh to build a new back where there were rust holes then filled in the front with p38 and sanded it down to flush. Treated the back of it with Lowe rust primer then sprayed the front black with ordinary hardware spray paint and its been fine now for 6 mths. Maybe I'll get 2 or 3 years out of it but with the amount of primer on the back there wont be anymore rust for a longtime. I painted primer on the mounts while the bumper was off too just to extend them as well.
    Fitting the new endcaps was a pain as the holes just dont line up anymore perfectly. Found the original bolts (the ones that didnt snap) were just too big to force into and oval hole (where 2 holes didnt line up) and used small diameter nuts and bolts from the shed 6mm I think

Comment

The 2nd generation American 4Runner wasnt sold with flared arches. I think the difference in the rear bumpers is that the 15" x 7" models have a side mounted lowering device (with a wire cable not a chain) and the 15" x 6" models have the same sort of lowering device as the Surf.

This would make a difference to the rear bumper as the models with the bigger wheels probably dont have the hole in the rear bumper for the jack handle.

Comment

Boo!

I just contacted the site and they don't ship outside the US. I have some friends comeing over from the US soon, so I may ask them to get me one. I stumbled across quite a few sites that sold exactly the same items.

How come the UK doesn't seem to have the same kind of support network?

Rob

Comment

Winch

Aaah I have answered my own question.

In the initial days of the 2nd gen the spare wheel was accessed via a winch, with the operating handle passing straight through the bumper. When they went to the bigger wheels, the operating mechanism for the winch was offset and the operating handle went through the bumper at 45 degrees. There is a guide mechanism which diverts the handle off at an angle.

I know because I have a second hand rear bumper (to replace my rusted one) with an inline winch access and I need an-off set one! Grr.

Get the angle grinder out!

Comment

Originally posted by robnw67
            Aaah I have answered my own question.

In the initial days of the 2nd gen the spare wheel was accessed via a winch, with the operating handle passing straight through the bumper. When they went to the bigger wheels, the operating mechanism for the winch was offset and the operating handle went through the bumper at 45 degrees. There is a guide mechanism which diverts the handle off at an angle.

I know because I have a second hand rear bumper (to replace my rusted one) with an inline winch access and I need an-off set one! Grr.

Get the angle grinder out!
            Is the winch access the oval hole in the center of the bumper ?

If so My bumper has one of these , but a rear mounted spare .

I need a new bumper , so if it in good condition , and you want rid let me know if you think it will fit my 93 SSRX !

Thanks
            http://www.darksidesolutions.co.uk - Web Solutions

Comment

Working...
            X