Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cadnam Garage

Evening All !

I'm looking for a decent no frills 4x4 for towing - I know next to sweet FA about motors so I'd prefer to buy something that won't need any work.

I dropped in at the Cadnam Garage a couple of weeks ago and the guy there had a few Surfs that were well turned out. They were all undersealed and he claimed that they were fully serviced on arrival including a full flush and replacement of oil and coolant. The prices weren't cheap but the cars seemed pretty good and came with a 12 month in-house warranty.

Has anyone got any opinions to offer or had dealings with them ?

Cheers
    Life is too important to take seriously !

Hi Bob and welcome to the Forum.

If you read any of the threads on here you'll find that by and large Surf's are fun, reliable and great to drive. However, there are problems with some of the 2.4L Surf's that suffer with cracked cylinder heads, so if available you would be better going for a 3.0L. Also, the 3.0L petrol is apparently quiet lively but you do need to own a petrol station to afford to run it. The 3.0L diesel is a far better bet as, up to now there are no known weaknesses and the same engine is used in later model Landcruisers, so engine spares should not be a problem.

Check that everything works as it should, especially the aircon (if fitted) and the 4WD although don't use that on tarmac as you'll get transmission wind-up unless you're driving dead straight. Only use 4WD off road or on sand, snow, ice etc.

As these are heavy vehicles they're not very economical. Mine (a 3.0L 93 auto) does about 25mpg on a run but that's at about 75mph; using the aircon knocks that down a bit. Manuals are a bit better but it really depends how you drive them.

Check them out but you won't be disappointed if you get a good one.
    Mike G

Comment

The fact that the garage is offering 12months warrantee is good but check to make sure that it includes labour, I read the small print too late and found out any warrantee jobs were charged at £45 per hour, that would pay for the price of most parts!
      ...Woodie http://woodie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/D...%20Surfsml.JPG

Comment

Cadnam Garage

A mate of mine got his surf from there and he's well pleased with the motor and after sales service.
        I would also add that if you're looking in this area, stay well away from Automarques in Hounsdown (Southamptom)-cowboy.

Comment

poole autos

Comment

poole autos aka B&M motors

Ibought mine from the above "dealers" in poole dorset all was hunky dory till after paying £1000 cash deposit i asked for some sort of warranty for my £4800 (all in cash) as none was offered i settled for six months parts only,but lo&behold the head& gasket went, after loads of calls & threats to take him to court,he payed up. £1030 for parts and £400 for labour,towing etc.so beware.but for now all is well. ps i was suspicious of the " NEW MOT" as there was no rear foglight fitted & headlights were very high.

Comment

Got mine from there and I was very surprised how good the after sales was. I had a couple of minor niggles, and they had no problem having a look and sorting the problem.

Mine is up for sale if you are still looking - see For Sale section,

Cheers, Nick
              "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Working...
              X