warranty's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warranty's

Bought a 2.4 from 4 X 4 Play Somerset. cracked head at 4 months, not covered by the 12 month RAC warranty. Had a bill for £1700 and the dealer stumped up £700 said it was a good will gesture!
    Live and Learn

Originally posted by pnorvill
    Bought a 2.4 from 4 X 4 Play Somerset. cracked head at 4 months, not covered by the 12 month RAC warranty. Had a bill for £1700 and the dealer stumped up £700 said it was a good will gesture!
    Live and Learn
    we've had a few posts about the unwarrenty not covering the head gasket. At least you got some paid, others have had nothing.

Read carefully!
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Warranties are only worth cost if they cover what you want not what the supplier wants to cover.

Before buying any item - including a Surf - check what is covered in the warranty, if it does'nt cover what you consider is required * walk away*

Why do members alway think that a warranty being offered by a dealer, is offering them total peace of mind on there Surf ?? RAC included.
      When are we going to learn, most warranties are a waste of space.

SIMPLE RULE : READ THEM FIRST BEFORE BUYING THE SURF

Sewerat Bob
      [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Magenta][SIZE=2][B]SEWERAT BOB[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen][I][COLOR=Lime][B]I just sit here & looks out to sea or if i'm really rushed then i just sits here & continues to look out to sea[/B][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

if you bought your surf through a finance company, you have more ammunition to getting problem sorted, as finance company own the vehicle & not you! also they wont like the fact that there vehicle has got problems soon after purchase
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

In all honesty the guys I bought my Surf off didn't give me any warranty, they told me the after market warranties available aren't worth the paper they're written on and from what I'm reading here they were right.
          The head went on my surf after I'd driven it from Kent to Swansea and the sellers have paid for the repairs so I have no problems giving them the thumbs up - Medway trade sales, Strood, Kent

Comment

My 2.4 Surf is currently in to a third party garage for work. The head gasket is definately gone (bubbles can be seen coming from the gasket). These guys are based in Southampton and say that they must have done 150 surf 2.4 head changes to date so it is probably a cracked head.

I made sure when I took it in that the work was to be carried out on behalf of the dealer, and that the contract was between the garage and the dealer not me. I don't want to be left with the bill, but then the garage could simply refuse to release the car.

I've only had the car 5 weeks and it cost me 5999 to buy (which I paid cash).

The warrantly states cover up to £300 per claim. I have to admit that I didn't see that bit until after I bought the car and checked it.

Not looking forward to finding out the results.

Jon.

Comment

warranty's

Originally posted by Jon S
              My 2.4 Surf is currently in to a third party garage for work. The head gasket is definately gone (bubbles can be seen coming from the gasket). These guys are based in Southampton and say that they must have done 150 surf 2.4 head changes to date so it is probably a cracked head.

I made sure when I took it in that the work was to be carried out on behalf of the dealer, and that the contract was between the garage and the dealer not me. I don't want to be left with the bill, but then the garage could simply refuse to release the car.

I've only had the car 5 weeks and it cost me 5999 to buy (which I paid cash).

The warrantly states cover up to £300 per claim. I have to admit that I didn't see that bit until after I bought the car and checked it.

Not looking forward to finding out the results.

Jon.
              after i suffered a cracked cylinder head as yourself to which this is a very common problem with these vehicles yet the dealer opted to ommit this when asked if any problems with imports, but here is the alarming part, after advice from the consumer protection people it appears a lot of traders are giving only three months warranty or as in your case limitted monetery warranty when according to the consumer protection people when you spend that much money it is expected that the major parts of the vehicle and engine have at least 6 months, and when i asked the consumer protection dept if that is the case why are they letting traders and dealers get away with flouting the law and if these people who are supposed to be our protectors can not do anything about it what protection do we as consumers actually get, i therefore urge you to contact your council consumer protection dept and find out exactly what your rights are, as you could fall into the same trap as myself, because beleiving my 3 month warranty was up by 2 months i got the head changed at a third party garage and was then informed by the consumer protection people that as i had had the work done by a third party any obligation the original dealers had was null and void upon which my reply was why was i not given warranty cover i was due to in the first place, something that needs to be looked into for us consumers, as i say please contact your consumer protection people and arm yourself with all relevant information before commiting to very heavy repair bills.

odos29
              Last edited by odos; 5 September 2004, 09:58. Reason: want to reply

Comment

Jon S..your car having been bought from a dealer MUST be of "merchantable quality and fit for the purpose for which it is intended" (Sale of Goods Act), so if it has a major fault shortly after you bought it then it doesn't meet those conditions and the dealer MUST put it right.

However, unless the dealer specifies in writing that you can take it to a 3rd party garage for repair then, as odo29 says, you could be leaving yourself open to a refusal by the dealer to pay for the repairs. This is normal with most dealers, as they usually either have their own workshop or have arrangements with local garages to carry out work on their behalf at agreed rates, not at standard workshop chare rates.

Best get it confirmed before you let anyone else carry out the work.
                Mike G

Comment

Working...
                X