Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting a transmission cooler

Hello,

Today I'll mostly be wearing pants, and fitting a transmission cooler onto my 2.4 2nd Gen Surf.

I got one of these

off this site

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fluid...spagenameZWD1V

This is what was in the box – totally complete – I didn’t need to buy another thing.

1. Remove the side lights, front bumper and grill. This gives easy access. I also removed my lower bash plate. My entire air con system has been binned long ago so I have really good access to the underside of the engine bay

There is a very convenient position just to the left of the near side headlight. Offer the cooler to get your best place.

Do not fix the cooler in place yet. You need to sort out the pipes first.

Fit the supplied pipe onto the LHS of the cooler and thread this through the chassis (to the right of the radiator) – it is just the right length to get to the ATF pipe. Clamp to the cooler with the supplied clip.

Under the truck there are two steel pipes that run to and from the tranny. One of them goes to the RHS of the radiator. This is the pumped side and the one you want.

Disconnect this pipe from the steel pipe (from the tranny). DO NOT disconnect it from the RHS of the radiator as this will be the return from the cooler. Place the old pipe up into the engine to stop ATF leaking out. Put your thumb over the steel pipe.

Connect the new pipe (from the cooler) to the now exposed steel pipe (from the tranny). Don’t forget your jubilee clip

If you’re quick hardly any ATF will leak out. Tighten this clip.

Now thread the old tranny pipe through the chassis to the cooler and connect this pipe. Tighten your jubilee clip.

Start the engine to make sure there are no leaks or missing clips.

I did not have to cut any of the pipes – they were just right for the job.

This is a pic of the cooler zip tied into the front frame.

The supplied ties are very strong and do a good job.

This is a pic of the pipes going through the chassis

Now refit the grill, bumper and side lights. Reconnect the indicator bulbs.

Go for a test drive to make sure all is OK.

Job done.

Took about 1.5 hours and I used a basic socket set and a couple of screw drivers.

Easy job and well worth doing – especially if you tow a lot.
    Another member of the 'A' team

nice job andy and good write up too.well done that man.hope to see you the weekend.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Quick update - cooler is working really well. The inlet side (coming from the gearbox) is too hot to touch but the outlet side is much much cooler.

The set up is that easy I didn't read the instructions, just fitted it. Just read them and they suggest fitting the cooler to the pipe that runs back to the gearbox.

Sorry Fluidyne but I don't agree. Surely dumping the excess heat before it runs into the cooling system is the way to go. The tank in the bottom of the radiator can then cool the ATF more (or even add some heat if its the winter).

And knowing the overheating issues that can affect the Surfs getting as much heat out of there has got to be better.

Comment

This is all fascinating and such, but what are the bits on the box that have been crossed out in black pen??????

Seriously though, top job Andrew - when are you fitting mine?
        Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

It says under no circumstances fit to a 2.4 surf.
          Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Originally posted by Veggie Surfer
            It says under no circumstances fit to a 2.4 surf.
            LOL

Mud - When you've stoppped jetting around the world and you've assembled all the bits you need to fit the intercooler - we'll have a spanner day and fit the lot.

So get onto ebay and get a transmission cooler as well

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
              LOL

Mud - When you've stoppped jetting around the world and you've assembled all the bits you need to fit the intercooler - we'll have a spanner day and fit the lot.

So get onto ebay and get a transmission cooler as well

I may wait and fit both into the 'New One'.......
              Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

I agree with the rest ie what a brill and informative thread BUT not meaning to pee on your fire there's always one eh I will be fitting a trans fluid cooler to my Surf BUT i am fitting mine below the rad ie behind the lower grill below bumper not in front of a HOT rad. Also you say you have removed the a/c completely as i intend to do on my 2.0 Surf but you appear to have an a/c cooling fan still fitted? Now i have i think completely peed on your fire without really intending to sorry i would recommend a bit of armouring around those atf cooler pipes
                Cheers,
                Chas.

Comment

Originally posted by cbv8
                  I agree with the rest ie what a brill and informative thread BUT not meaning to pee on your fire there's always one eh I will be fitting a trans fluid cooler to my Surf BUT i am fitting mine below the rad ie behind the lower grill below bumper not in front of a HOT rad. Also you say you have removed the a/c completely as i intend to do on my 2.0 Surf but you appear to have an a/c cooling fan still fitted? Now i have i think completely peed on your fire without really intending to sorry i would recommend a bit of armouring around those atf cooler pipes
                  Thats the back-up electric cooling fan, it comes on automatically when the coolant gets above 98 degrees. The 2.4s have two fans behind the bashplate for the A/C.

Comment

Sorry i didn't know better keep my trap shut i have a 2.0 petrol so all new to me can,t find any info on this particular slug engine
                    Cheers,
                    Chas.

Comment

Originally posted by cbv8
                      Sorry i didn't know better keep my trap shut
                      Far from it - how else do we learn if not by sharing and discussing these things - that's why I posted it.

'If I have seen futher, it is because I stand on the shoulders of giants'

There is about a 20 mm gap between the cooler and the rad so I wouldn't think there would be too much heat radiating into the cooler. Plus air flow would tend to be forcing the heat into the engine bay and not forwards into the cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by Spitfire
                        Thats the back-up electric cooling fan, it comes on automatically when the coolant gets above 98 degrees. The 2.4s have two fans behind the bashplate for the A/C.
                        This is in most cases on 2.4'S But my old one had the 3.0 SETUP which was strange.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                        (")_(")

Comment

Good write up Andy! their not a bad price either, something else i need to do no end to it! was thinking of fitting it behind the bash plate (after drilling some more vents in it), as ya might guess i aint worried about "MUD" getting in there, theres enough pipe supplyed with it for that i take it?
                          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE
                            , theres enough pipe supplyed with it for that i take it?
                            Yeah I would have thought so - but its only 3/8'' automotive hose - readily avaialble from any motor factors and cheap too.

Comment

your auto cooler

just reading your post on the oil cooler mod and looking at doing one my self, can you just clear something up for me you say the pumped atf is the line on the right side of the rad, now is that the right hand side looking from the front of the truck.
                              to much is never enough

Comment

Working...
                              X