Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old prop shaft - any model!

Preferably for free or very very cheap

Condition unimportant as will be cutting it up anyway to act as a transverse connector for a rolling road (!)
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

You making a rolling road?!

Comment

More of a constant evolution of a rolling road.

Comment

Amazing what people try on here...good luck (but I'm keeping my prop ;-) ).

Comment

It's working already. Specced to 12 tonnes at 30mph, but only have axles connected by a prop at one end. Using 2" 600psi hose and hose clamps at the other end. Got enough give in them to take up transverse misalignment, but can't carry much transverse torque, which you get when locking the rollers with cars with open diffs.

Comment

Did you make it all from scratch and have you got a pic?

Comment

No, it was built around five years ago by someone who didn't have a clue what he was doing. It was dangerous (to people and vehicles!) so we've had new larger rollers built, balanced and skimmed so they're concentric. It's no longer chain driven (!) as the chain was moving at 17m/s at 30mph (!!!) and kept breaking and flailing around (!!!!!), it's hydraulically driven now. The transverse axles were solid 2" steel so destroyed bearings when misaligned as there was no flex at all, so we moved to the big hoses to give some flex (which has worked in the main beautifully for years) but recently we shortened a prop I had hanging around from my old Hilux and fitted that to one of the transverse axles, which is MUUUCH better, so I want to do it to the other axle. Means when we lock the axles to load and unload vehicles, it will withstand uneven transverse loads (Non-locked diffs). We've had vehicles up to the size and weight of Husky on there!

No pics, all on my work PC.

Comment

Chains...rarely ends well...never works on scrap heap challenge anyway!

I'm guessing you don't mean a Hillman Husky...
                Last edited by andyverran; 12 June 2014, 22:48.

Comment

Is this to finally prove/disprove the aeroplane on a treadmill theory once and for all?

Got a rear prop here, but the UJ is knackered.
                  Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

L200 one any good ?

Comment

L200 one probably wont work as it needs to be interchangeable with the one on there already (on the other axle) which is my old spare Surf one. Thanks though!

Hello there Chaos - not worried about duff UJ bearings as will replace. Want anything for yours? What about getting it here?

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                        L200 one probably wont work as it needs to be interchangeable with the one on there already (on the other axle) which is my old spare Surf one. Thanks though!

Hello there Chaos - not worried about duff UJ bearings as will replace. Want anything for yours? What about getting it here?
                        Just cost of postage really I'll find out how much and let you know.

Unless there's a passing surf train between Maidenhead and Malvern?
                        Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

Working...
                        X