• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd gen starter motor

As the title says really!!!

Thanks si.
    If its not broke don't fix it.

I,ll assume therefore that you have had to rule out simply replacing the contacts.?
    Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
      I,ll assume therefore that you have had to rule out simply replacing the contacts.?
      Not even looked TBH but it's about £60 for the kit so thought I'd just bung a good second hand one in.

Comment

There are much cheaper kits on ebay, its an easy fix, and a 2nd hand starter could have contacts that are just as likely to fail.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-HI-...item43bc9827f0
        Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
          There are much cheaper kits on ebay, its an easy fix, and a 2nd hand starter could have contacts that are just as likely to fail.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-HI-...item43bc9827f0
          Cheers Alex, I just went onto roughtrax & took it as gospel that the price would be the same everywhere. You've saved me a few quid mate.

So when can you bob round & fit it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
            Cheers Alex, I just went onto roughtrax & took it as gospel that the price would be the same everywhere. You've saved me a few quid mate.

So when can you bob round & fit it for me.
            If I was in West Yorkshire, Id be happy to , but trust me, the hardest part of the job is removing, replacing the starter, and that's not hard, just skinned knuckle hard. As long as youre good at swearing its a doddle
            Сви можемо

Comment

I have one sitting in my garage.... I was going to sell it with the engine... but what's it worth?

I also have no idea how much it'll coat to post, its the biggest starter motor I've ever removed!

I also found It pretty east to remove, - but my truck had a 1" body lift... which may have made it easier.

It's certainly a lot easier to remove than a 1UZ one!
              More Lift.
              More Tyres.
              More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
                I have one sitting in my garage.... I was going to sell it with the engine... but what's it worth?

I also have no idea how much it'll coat to post, its the biggest starter motor I've ever removed!

I also found It pretty east to remove, - but my truck had a 1" body lift... which may have made it easier.

It's certainly a lot easier to remove than a 1UZ one!
                I'm hoping it's just the contacts but if I come unstuck then I'll be in touch.
                Cheers.

Comment

All done & dusted, one of the contacts was non existent but the other one wasn't too bad but all is good now with no annoying random click when starting, bit of a pain to get at but a fairly easy DIY job.

Thanks again for the link Alex.

Comment

Good stuff, I wonder if that London Plasterer bloke took the advice as well, he never came back to tell us.
                    By the way, when I did mine I used the Roughness kit, you don't half get a lot of bits in it, but as you say its usually only one contact that has gone. I only found the cheapo kit later.
                    Сви можемо

Comment

Another thanks for this link.

Mine sounded like the batteries had failed this morning, got it boosted and took it to nearest Halfrauds where they put but batteries on a diagnostic which says they are both good. Alternator also charging them fine. Man says must be starter motor?

Symptoms were the usual low-juice whug...whug... on turnover. Then nothing. Fine yesterday, although I have been noticing it has been taking half a dozen whirs in the morning to fire up. No electrics left on overnight to drain it etc.

For this price, may as well get the contacts replaced when the truck is serviced soon.
                      Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Originally posted by J i m s t e r View Post
                        Another thanks for this link.

Mine sounded like the batteries had failed this morning, got it boosted and took it to nearest Halfrauds where they put but batteries on a diagnostic which says they are both good. Alternator also charging them fine. Man says must be starter motor?

Symptoms were the usual low-juice whug...whug... on turnover. Then nothing. Fine yesterday, although I have been noticing it has been taking half a dozen whirs in the morning to fire up. No electrics left on overnight to drain it etc.

For this price, may as well get the contacts replaced when the truck is serviced soon.

Yup mine was slow & then nothing + sometimes just a click.
                        Easiest way I found to get the starter out was to go in through the side, jack up, wheel off & bobs your uncle.
                        Make sure you disconnect the batteries first then it's 2 nuts holding the starter to the gearbox, 1 nut holding the live feed & one small connector to pop out.

Comment

Turns out it was the batteries...

Neighbour (ex garage manager) has a more accurate diagnostic than Halfrauds, it would appear, and his showed 11v on both. Jump started truck yesterday morning after more of the same, two new batteries from Halfrauds (who else is open on Sunday??) and been perfect overnight and all day today. Starter motor turns faster and kicks in fine.

Will still do the rotor refit, kit has been ordered, so thanks for the tip Si.
                          Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Originally posted by J i m s t e r View Post
                            Turns out it was the batteries...

Neighbour (ex garage manager) has a more accurate diagnostic than Halfrauds, it would appear, and his showed 11v on both. Jump started truck yesterday morning after more of the same, two new batteries from Halfrauds (who else is open on Sunday??) and been perfect overnight and all day today. Starter motor turns faster and kicks in fine.

Will still do the rotor refit, kit has been ordered, so thanks for the tip Si.
                            At least you will be all sorted for winter without any starting worries.

Comment

Working...
                            X