3rd Gen 1996 - rear axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Gen 1996 - rear axle

Need a rear axle housing for 3rd Gen 1996 Manual, with abs. Axle code A02A.

My rear diff cover has rusted out and is leaking. Me thinks previous owner had a boat and has been reversing it on a slipway into the Sea.

Ideally complete axle but can get away with just replacing the axle housing as my diff is OK. Obviously will collect and cash on delivery, not keen on paying VAT.

Open to any possible solutions... Need this ASAP and will possibly collect this weekend

Mike
    Last edited by Mumpy; 24 November 2011, 14:44.
    1996 SSRG Blue over Silver 3rd Gen 3.0L

Only have 2nd gen axles, but can cut diff cover off one if you fancy welding it on?
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

3rd gen axle

Whats the difference between 2nd and 3rd Gen Axles? ABS was an option on 2nd Gens are they hugely different?

Mike

Comment

No ABS on 2nd gens, so axle ends are different to allow for the ABS ring on 3rd Gens.

Comment

Diff cover

How much would you want for a 2nd Gen Axle. It would appear 3rd Gen Axles are like Hens teeth. I know a good welder, my welding is not up to the job. Needs 3 phase welder to get some decent weld penetration.

Comment

You can have an whole empty axle casing for £40, you're not a million miles away, are you going to collect?

I can cut the axle tubes off if you need it posted.

Comment

Cover

Ill have a chat with my welder mate today and see what he can do. I'll be in touch this evening. Also, do you have a serviceable rear drum. I'm assuming 2nd and 3rd gen drums are the same?

Mike

Comment

I have plenty good drums, they are all the same.

Comment

these axle casings are prone to being pourous,and leaking. get enquires all the time for them, dont think its due to being dipped in the sea,

Comment

That's interesting, not seen one like that yet, will check them out in future when working under them.

Comment

Repaired

Thankyou for your replies. I had the thing welded up. The chap who did it said it looked as though the back of diff had hit something solid and it had just rusted out in that one place.

It's now cleaned up and is a fetching color of green (only metal paint I had)

Comment

Working...
                      X