Rushton Triangular Lodge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rushton Triangular Lodge

Should you wish to visit it's free this weekend, cheers English Heritage http://www.heritageopendays.org.uk/directory/HOD001284E

Here's the rest of the album http://s512.photobucket.com/albums/t...009%20Rushden/

Trev
    Last edited by That Ruddy Squirrel; 11 September 2009, 16:00.
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Its Rushton triangular lodge not Rushden, rushdens about 16 miles down the road,

Comment

Originally posted by guysturg1 View Post
      Its Rushton triangular lodge not Rushden, rushdens about 16 miles down the road,
      Duly edited, but by the time the bl00dy Sat Nav has sent you round the houses it feels like 16 miles have passed !

Trev

Comment

i reckon sat nav software is either written by the fuel suppliers or the government just so you have to buy more, its definitely one of the oddest buildings about though, looks better when your there and you can appreciate all three sides to it.

Comment

i reckon sat nav software is either written by the fuel suppliers or the government just so you have to buy more, its definitely one of the oddest buildings about though, looks better when your there and you can appreciate all three sides to it.
          Definitely best when you are there, as I was yesterday

The Sat Nav decided that the best route from Broughton on the A43 was up Violet Lane - not the best route for a bog standard Fiat Panda (memo to self, check roof for dents from head)

The looks I got from some workmen there was priceless

I've been wanting to visit the lodge for years, which brings it's own ironies

Me, a non believer, doing a pilgrimage to a building made by a Roman Catholic in Elizabethan times where Catholicism was at best viewed in a bad light. Sir Thomas Tresham's son Francis was involved in the Gunpowder plot which brings the next dose of irony - I come from an area where the Bonfire Societies are active every autumn, go to Lewes on November 5th and they march with burning crosses to remember the Protestant Martyrs burned at the stake in the town - http://www.bonfirenight.info/lewesmartyrs_1.php

Trev

Comment

i used to live a couple of miles away in rothwell and violet lane is definitely rough, don't think they've resurfaced it since horse and carts used it, don't know if you can still go down to the tunnel underneath the lodge but was supposedly an escape route straight to what is now the pub!! was actually used when they came up with and planned the gunpowder plot

Comment

i used to live a couple of miles away in rothwell and violet lane is definitely rough, don't think they've resurfaced it since horse and carts used it, don't know if you can still go down to the tunnel underneath the lodge but was supposedly an escape route straight to what is now the pub!! was actually used when they came up with and planned the gunpowder plot
              That lane is rough alright, especially the bit that runs parallel with the A14, home territory for a Surf not for a Panda.

I saw no evidence of a tunnel, and there's bugga all about a tunnel in the guidebook. Across the country there are a lot of religious buildings with tunnels to the local hostelries.

Of course the other sign of those times is the 'priest holes' in homes, halls and other buildings. These being places to hide catholic priests, the penalty for being a catholic priest was the death sentence

Trev

Comment

Working...
              X