navigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• navigation

someone once said they had an os map for their gps??

any ideas of a good one?
    i've got an Ipaq with tom tom navigator and this only shows actual roads. so while i'm off road it just shows an arrow on a white background!

cheers!

matt
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Originally posted by dabigman
    someone once said they had an os map for their gps??

any ideas of a good one?
    i've got an Ipaq with tom tom navigator and this only shows actual roads. so while i'm off road it just shows an arrow on a white background!

cheers!

matt
    Matt.

Have a look at memory map navigator for the ipaq. thats the one that codlord got

cheers

Comment

I use VitoTechnology's Smartmap in a Cassiopeia with a Garmin eTrex. Using their PC Map manager s/w to import any jpeg scan of a map and calibrate the jpeg to the long/lat. it is only a matter of downloading the map then to the handheld PC. We can download topographic maps from our Land information department here in NZ. I've used it to 4wd on a track up a mountain and was remarkably accurate, tho I couldn't watch it because the road was so greasy and slippery that I had to concentrate on the road. When we had to open a gate it was even hard to stand it was so slippery. VitoTechnology has a version for PocketPC.
      The other program which is excellent is Ozziexplorer. They have a Pocket PC/WinCE version that will run on your iPaq. It does the same as VitoTechnology's Smartmap, but has more features.

have fun!!

Paul-NZ
      [COLOR=darkslateblue]Paul - NZ[/COLOR]

Comment

I use a map and compass

Comment

Originally posted by The Typsey Russell
          I use a map and compass
          a what??... nah... never heard of them?... anything like the nolan sisters?

Comment

Originally posted by The Typsey Russell
            I use a map and compass
            I'm with you on that one.
            Can't beat a good OS map and a compass
            NO WORRIES!
            Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by rusty
              I'm with you on that one.
              Can't beat a good OS map and a compass
              a) you have to stop and take half hour to unfold/ fold HUGE os maps!
              b) sexy lady tells me when to turn!
              c) entire UK on handheld device (no box of maps under my bunk!)
              d) internet access
              e) watch short rude films and impress the lads!
              f) i payed £700 for it and the most interesting thing i've done is record myself burping and played it back in the pub!... must be a sad gadget freak!

Comment

a) you have to stop and take half hour to unfold/ fold HUGE os maps!
                This then turns in to a brew stop - what's the problem??

b) sexy lady tells me when to turn!
                This is an advantage?? (it's just a voice or have you put a mental image to it??) anyway I got one of those - the wife!! ( at least you can turn yours off!)

c) entire UK on handheld device (no box of maps under my bunk!)
                I've got that - it's called a road atlas!

d) internet access
                I've got that too

e) watch short rude films and impress the lads!
                Ah you got me there - where can I get one?? - better still just send me the films

f) i payed £700 for it and the most interesting thing i've done is record myself burping and played it back in the pub!... must be a sad gadget freak!
                You've got too much money burning a hole in your pocket!!
                NO WORRIES!
                Rusty

Comment

Maps, Compass GPS and a healthy sense of adventure.
                  Worst case get out and ask a local, you usually offer them a beer or a fag
                  It does pay in this country to know what the local brew is.
                  But seriously I am very much a map and compass man with the GPS there to confirm that I am waaaaay off course
                  Simon.O.
                  '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

I'm using Kane Car Pilot, which can lead you to taking the long way round sometimes, but it does help you find places.

I've also got Memory Map installed all with all the OS maps of Great Britain. This was expensive, but rather usefull.

The whole lot is installed on a iPAC pocket PC that lives in a craddle in the car.

It's all quite good and I can use it on or off road, but you have to ensure that you've loaded the right maps before you leave. The whole lot has cost me less than £800, a full Sat Nav system would cost over £1100/£1500 and I'm not sure how well it would work off road.

Comment

A gps connected to a handheld PC in the vehicle during an offroad trip gives a lot of interesting date, like average speed, total distance traveled, ETA, height above sea level and gives the passengersan indication of progress. On short trips perhaps not as usefull, but if the offroad trip is 30-50kms it is very usefull.
                      Offcourse the map lives in the pocket behind the drivers seat and the compass in the ashtray. Using a compass in the high country here on the south island of NZ close to Dunedin is sometimes difficult as the countryside is just rolling hills and swampy hollows, not many promenent features.
                      But of course the best thing is to watch the road, no use landing in a ditch no gps/map/compass/pc will be of use then.

regards
                      Paul-NZ
                      [COLOR=darkslateblue]Paul - NZ[/COLOR]

Comment

I have the iPaq/Navman + Memory Map software setup - it's sweet although not had a chance to give it a proper test off road yet (going to Wales in a couple of weeks though).

Have got some info up on my site if you are interested:
                        http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/gps.htm

Made a proper sturdy off-road proof mount for it now though (not got this info on the site yet though).
                        No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Working...
                        X