North wales to timbucto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North wales to timbucto

Hi all, We are travelling to Mali this winter, I have been planning this trip and getting the surf up to scratch, Recored rad, uprated suspension ect. most of the summer, we are nearly ready to go. we leave on the 20th Dec and plan to take about 6 weeks for the trip. we will be posting updates and photos on facebook as we go, so if you are interested the address is facebook.com/jennisonjones. getting nervous now, but I will be ok once we set off. thats all for now, will report back a bit nearer the off date. Howard

The very best of luck Howard, watch those ARB's with that lift,,add that extra fan and you should be good.

Looking forward to the pics

cal
    Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

Best of luck and have a safe and enjoyable expedition. Make sure there's plenty of pics for us to see

Comment

Where is 'timbucto'?
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

good luck howard and barbara! wish i was coming i know you talked about it last time we met in wales. have you got a route planned should post that up if you can
          http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55797

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
            Where is 'timbucto'?
            Haha...yep it would be good to spell it right just incase!

In all fairness there are a few spellings.... There is only one route to take really until you get to Senegal. Then you can go south and cross into Mali and then get lost like we did! The road south is not on the map, but when we were there they had just finished building it....one of the best roads I have been on and no other cars. The Tarmac runs out when you get to the border...you cross a river (maybe they have built the bridge?) and into the dirt roads of Mali.

Or into Senegal and take the road east along the river to khia..that's not spelt right so will go and check. The road from there is a toll road...it has Tarmac for about a mile then it keeps turning into a dirt road and back to tarmac. The FOC warn this road is dodgy for kidnapping, but if you got through Mauritania ok which the FOC really get their knickers in a twist with you will be fine.

Good luck....have fun....chill out and watch out for the corruption in Senegal.
            .... Which was nice.

Comment

hi all thanks for the well wishes, not sure about the route yet, so much depends on the security situation at the time, we have to go to Rabat to get a visa for mauri, then coast road to the mauri border. we intend to do R2 to choam and the see whats happening, who we meet up with, etc. will post updates on here and facebook as we go. cheers Howard n barbara.

Hi cal took up torsion bars an inch, as you said, dead easy

Comment

Finding the embassy in Rabat is fun..... We were lucky and got ours the same day although it can take 24hrs. The embassy does not stick to the opening times it says. Get there early though as the queue can get very long...also the form you have to fill in is big and in French and Arabic!! Not English!!.. Also if you can download or get the form before you arrive it can save alot of hassle.

Anything else just ask...
                .... Which was nice.

Comment

hi thanks for that, have tried to download visa form, but no luck so far, got all other docs ready and injections done, all ready now but for a bit of food shopping, just passing the time till off. where thereany females in your party? Barbara is a bit worried about being a western woman in muslim countries. any reassurance would be most welcome. thanks Howard

Comment

Originally posted by howardj View Post
                    hi thanks for that, have tried to download visa form, but no luck so far, got all other docs ready and injections done, all ready now but for a bit of food shopping, just passing the time till off. where thereany females in your party? Barbara is a bit worried about being a western woman in muslim countries. any reassurance would be most welcome. thanks Howard
                    Yep one woman...all was fine, just do the usual cover up. No low tops or vests and no short dresses etc. Or you will get stared at. You will be a novelty as it is! Make sure people know she is married..even if she is not. It depends where you are. In the sticks or in a big city reactions can be different. Also you will know when you are on the usual tourist trail (which will be most of the time I guess) as people and kids will ask for a cadeau (prob not spelt correctly but is French for present or gift) It will get on your nerves and drive you mad. Off the trail no one asks for anything.

As for the visa..you may meet another traveller in the queue who will help out. Or just copy theirs.
                    Last edited by Overland Tonka; 18 November 2011, 19:50.
                    .... Which was nice.

Comment

I'm sure you would know this, but just in case you don't...

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...timbuktu-60415
                      I Love Wales

Comment

hi thanks have been following the kidnapping since the day it happend. Barbara broke her ankle a couple of weeks ago, should be out of plaster this week, fingers crossed. Her dad has been in hospital for the last couple of weeks, and we don't know when he'll be out so it looks like our start will be a bit delayed. but we are all ready to roll, just some last min food shopping to do. when we get the all clear and have our leaving date I will put another post on. cheers Howard

Comment

Working...
                        X