Playing out in South Wales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing out in South Wales

Ok, I just got my first 4x4 and i am noticing a lot of the routes i thought i was going to do are actualy closed most of the year (sarn & gap), But.. I am finding lots of other places to play, Having said that i definatley need more !! especially some stunning scenery to keep the Mrs happy. I will list the places I go but in return if people know anygood routes near the ones i am using then please let me know. Also if i shouldnt be using any of the following also feel free to tell me off.

I have been using the following:

Merthyr Vale - Big mountain behind Merthyr Tydfil, a good mile or two of open land. Solid road goes across the top. Plenty off offroad routes to play around on, with some humps and drops and water pools at the Merthyr end. Free access, just try not to cut the land up as some of it is farmers land.

Trefil - Mental dissused quarry in the middle of no-where. Lots of bikes and 4x4. Dosent seem to be any restrictions, seems to be one of those places they dont bother stopping people. Seems to be a path that heads towards Brecon but can be very muddy, Has anyone done this ?

Aberdare to Merthyr - Full on rocky path over the hill, starts of not too bad the suddenly get very steep, not for the precious but easy to do without any damage.

Near Sarn Helen - I went looking for Sarn Helen, near Ystradfellte. I took the correct road but i came across a lane to the left (just after gated village) which i presumed was sarn helen. The first part was a bit gravelly and then went through about three gates to the top of the hill then dropped down into a beautifull valley. Stunning route, but not sure i should have been there!?. Having checked the map, Sarn helen was just round the corner (doh), would i have been able to get on the sarn helen there (Ystradfellte) Or is it blocked there aswell ?.

I would like to know:

Srata Florida: Can i get on this at Landovery as West wales is to far to drag the non-turbo diesel (it only does 60 flat out)

Brecons: There has to be some good routes left around the south of the brecons.

Sennybridge: I have heard its good up there but i would need to know where to head as it will take 1822 hours to get the 4runner up there.

If anyone would like more info or has some info of nearby hidden routes please let me know
    Cheers
    jos
    Last edited by iliketwopointeights; 18 November 2008, 20:23.

Can you give the OS grid refs for those and I'll look them up...
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Ok, I am not to hot on grid refrence's but i have just order the OS maps for my neck of the wood so should be able to pu that up in a few days. I have joined wayfinder but finding it a bit of a challenge searching throught the links and maps.

Comment

Be careful in the Trefil Quarry. I am a haulier out of the production quarry below and they also own rights to the old disused quarry above. You are correct in saying its an out of the way place that no-one seems to bother about but when they do decide to check they will prosecute.

All sorts happen up there, during the summer its a hotspot for illegal raves (awesome nights out ) as you said 4x4's use it motocross guys use it also it has been known for people with rifles to use it (no better backstop hey)

Comment

Working...
        X