What about this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about this?

How about during our daily drives, we log any interesting bits of green lanes, fords etc? It might brighten up journeys others make. I'm sure there must be numerous occasions when we are driving down a major road and miss a lane, a ford or another interesting diversion by yards!

I'll start us off with the ford at Stefford. It's suitable for newbies as even in flood it's only about 18", but its fairly fast flowing and about 30ft across. In the drier weather it's only about 10" or so. Bet it's been fun this last couple of days!

Anyway, it's just off the A49 near Craven arms. Heading NORTH, turn right off the A49 in Craven Arms (up the main street) and drive around a mile out of town, taking a left signed Stefford. Just follow the signs for Stefford and in a couple of miles of narrow lanes you'll reach the ford, and about 1/4 mile later you'll be back on the A49. GPS says it adds about 5 minutes to your journey.
    Last edited by Apache; 27 June 2007, 09:44.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Originally posted by Apache
    How about during our daily drives, we log any interesting bits of green lanes, fords etc? It might brighten up journeys others make. I'm sure there must be numerous occasions when we are driving down a major road and miss a lane, a ford or another interesting diversion by yards!

I'll start us off with the ford at Stefford. It's suitable for newbies as even in flood it's only about 18", but its fairly fast flowing and about 30ft across. In the drier weather it's only about 10" or so. Bet it's been fun this last couple of days!

Anyway, it's just off the A49 near Craven arms. Heading South, turn right off the A49 in Craven Arms (up the main street) and drive around a mile out of town, taking a left signed Stefford. Just follow the signs for Stefford and in a couple of miles of narrow lanes you'll reach the ford, and about 1/4 mile later you'll be back on the A49. GPS says it adds about 5 minutes to your journey.
    I go past Craven Arms occasionaly- will look out for it next time.

Comment

Edited original post due to getting north and south mixed up!!

Comment

Sounds like a plan Andy - although there is one near me, at the end of my village, that the council just closed......great little lane and a ford at the bottom of it...

I'm looking for one near Southam that I may try on the way to work, but with the recent rain it could be a bit dodgy - turning up to the office covered in mud...
        Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Ive got all this at the bottom of my Garden! Its all PRIVATE LAND owned by SHELL. BUGGA!
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

I have this a couple of mile away on the other side of town

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_hxglefwCI
            Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Looks pleasant Trev.

We probably need a depository of map refs so we can find these places easily if we're ever in the area of them...

Comment

Looks pleasant Trev.

We probably need a depository of map refs so we can find these places easily if we're ever in the area of them...
                That one is near me, on the other hand is THE Tree on the IOW

And before anyone starts yes I have finally got it onto Youtube

Comment

Oh right... I'll just put 'near trev' into Memory Map, it should find it no problem...

Cool vid of the tree! Wish I was closer to IOW.

Comment

Oh right... I'll just put 'near trev' into Memory Map, it should find it no problem...

Cool vid of the tree! Wish I was closer to IOW.
                    You got mail, I am not posting Grids publically - just in case we have bobble hatted visitors

Comment

Thats a good point. Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                      X