Gatescarth Pass closed to LWB 4x4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gatescarth Pass closed to LWB 4x4

I have just received a letter from the Lake District National Parks Authority letting me know that Gatescarth Pass is now totally closed to 4x4s with a wheelbase longer than 100inches.

Details

Unfortunately this counts us Surf owners out, as a quick check with my trusty take measure shows a 2nd gen has a 102inch wheel base (FYI a Disco has a 100inch wheelbase).

I have driven this route in the past (hence why I have been sent the letter), it's a good route, through very nice countryside. I supported the system they introduced that restricted vehicular access to set dates and under a Permit system, as the need for maintenance following overuse was obvious. I also agree that it was best suited to shorter vehicles, as some of the bends are exceptionally tight. Still a shame though to loose this route, especially as LDNPA seems to be closing a lot of the recognised routes (Walnar Scar is also closed, another great route).

Oh well.
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Another one gone, soon it'll only be the private sites left to play on.

And everyone scoffed when I cut 8" out the middle of my pickup chassis to shorten it! Hah! Whos laughing now with a 98" wheel base Toyota truck!

Seriously, make the most of your byways, they will soon be out of reach to every car.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      Another one gone, soon it'll only be the private sites left to play on.

And everyone scoffed when I cut 8" out the middle of my pickup chassis to shorten it! Hah! Whos laughing now with a 98" wheel base Toyota truck!

Seriously, make the most of your byways, they will soon be out of reach to every car.

Hmmmmm, looks at Surf, looks at angle grinder, looks at rolls of gaffer tape.... maybe

P.S. Tony, you would have a PM, but your box is full, so Linda has a PM on your behalf.
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie
        Hmmmmm, looks at Surf, looks at angle grinder, looks at rolls of gaffer tape.... maybe

P.S. Tony, you would have a PM, but your box is full, so Linda has a PM on your behalf.

Shorten the back chassis
        cut off the back window area and make open
        passengers will get the open air and feel refreshed

then look back and realise it was all a dream ...thank god
        Gaz

Comment

closed route

Hi Slugsie,
          Write back to them and tell them they need to give you 30 days notice!
          And then go one last time- like we some others did with Walna Scar.
          Hows your front diff- all fixed? Oh Yeah, I think 1st gens are shorter- 98inches?
          cheers,
          chris
          Last edited by chrisinflight; 15 March 2007, 01:28.