OS Maps....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OS Maps....

I have been looking on some OS maps to try to find some good off road routes and keep finding things labeled "tracks" enclosed in dotted lines... I can't find any information about these... does anyone know if they are available to drive or does each go on its own merrit accorting to BOAT or RUPP type branding?
    Thanks in advance
    2 Tone Mud Master!
    http://www.sunsetsurf.co.uk

Originally posted by carbonman
    I have been looking on some OS maps to try to find some good off road routes and keep finding things labeled "tracks" enclosed in dotted lines... I can't find any information about these... does anyone know if they are available to drive or does each go on its own merrit accorting to BOAT or RUPP type branding?
    Thanks in advance

these tracks are usually just farm tracks or forestry tracks and very likely to be illegal to drive, RUPP,s and BOATS should be marked as on the map legend, but if it,s the same where you are some may be marked as bridleways or even footpaths. I know some lanes in n/yorks that are definitely legal to drive but are marked on OSmaps as bridleways.
    also bear in mind that some county councils are dishing out big fines for illegal use and i,m sure i remeber hearing something about vehicle confiscation, also only 5% of ROW,s are legal for vehicles in this country

so hey, be careful out there

ship

Comment

If you want to see which lanes are drivable then you need to get the OS Explorer maps. These have all of the Biways marked. You can get these on Amazon or a decent bookshop.

It is still worth checking with the local council to make sure that there are no local restrictions in force as well.

Rich.
      If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

i might be the one giving everyone a bad name!
        i just drive anywhere and blag it if i get caught!

when i go to my mate's it's 7 miles, but i can do it in 5 miles taking the route around fields, through farms etc.

they are tracks, but i think they're just access for farmers so what's the worse they could do? tell me off?
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Now which farmer was it that was shooting trespassers??

Originally posted by dabigman
          i might be the one giving everyone a bad name!
          i just drive anywhere and blag it if i get caught!

when i go to my mate's it's 7 miles, but i can do it in 5 miles taking the route around fields, through farms etc.

they are tracks, but i think they're just access for farmers so what's the worse they could do? tell me off?

Comment

So on the OS maps its gonna be clearly marked as a byway? a RUPP, BOAT bridleway? what am I looking for if I get an explorer map?
            Thanks
            2 Tone Mud Master!

Comment

The OS site has all of the info that you require.

Rich.

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswe....cfm?shop_ID=1

Has info such as this

Comment

Originally posted by rich
                The OS site has all of the info that you require.

Rich.

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswe....cfm?shop_ID=1

Has info such as this

Excellent thats just what I have been looking for all day!
                Thanks rich
                2 Tone Mud Master!

Comment

No problem

Comment

So on the OS maps its gonna be clearly marked as a byway? a RUPP, BOAT bridleway? what am I looking for if I get an explorer map?
                    Thanks
                    Whats the deal with bridleways...? If you can fit down em are you allowed to? or is that highly illiegal ;-)
                    2 Tone Mud Master!

Comment

Whats the deal with bridleways...? If you can fit down em are you allowed to? or is that highly illiegal ;-)
                      Not allowed to drive on Bridleways!!!!! They are for me and my horses.. LOL (occasionally a few may be mislabled, but unless you are sure then don't do it!)

The Explorer maps (the orange ones) detail routes you can drive on ( there is usually a description with the key saying what vehicles can use each type of route.)
                      Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

You can only drive on Byways and only those that do not have a local vehicle ban on them.

Bridleways are for things with bridles - Horses and the lesser persons - walkers & cyclists.

Comment

Originally posted by rich
                          You can only drive on Byways and only those that do not have a local vehicle ban on them.

Bridleways are for things with bridles - Horses and the lesser persons - walkers & cyclists.
                          just because of a horsy fetish, doesn't mean they're lesser persons!

(edit, never search for a pic of horsy gear!... very strange people out there!(face sitting brazil was my favourite!))(hehehe)

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
                            (edit, never search for a pic of horsy gear!... very strange people out there!(face sitting brazil was my favourite!))(hehehe)
                            Links man! LINKS!!!!!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                              Links man! LINKS!!!!!

i couldn't possibly... looks dangerous!

Comment

Working...
                              X