First time off road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time off road

Took my surf off road for the first time yesterday....
    Found a nice track which was ankle deep in mud and rutted out like only tractors had been down there before...
    There was some nice climbs and downhills.
    I followed all the advice I had from you guys on my earlier posts about using 2nd and 4x4 and although I nearly lost it on a few climbs just managed to get up all of them!
    Didnt take muh digital camera but will next time...
    So just to say thanks to all the advice... even with road tyres with your tips I didn't get stuck once....
    Off to find another trail!!!
    2 Tone Mud Master!
    http://www.sunsetsurf.co.uk

Originally posted by carbonman
    Took my surf off road for the first time yesterday....
    Found a nice track which was ankle deep in mud and rutted out like only tractors had been down there before...
    There was some nice climbs and downhills.
    I followed all the advice I had from you guys on my earlier posts about using 2nd and 4x4 and although I nearly lost it on a few climbs just managed to get up all of them!
    Didnt take muh digital camera but will next time...
    So just to say thanks to all the advice... even with road tyres with your tips I didn't get stuck once....
    Off to find another trail!!!
    Good stuff, glad you enjoyed yourself, that's what its all about FUN.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

We want to see you at the pit next time see how its realy done....

Glad you enjoyed it there is always something to learn while off roading..
      Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Auto boxes any good?

I was just wondering - when off roadng, what is the auto box like for engine braking?

I used to have a Daihatsu Sportrak and you could just let that roll down a hill in 2nd and 4wd-Low ratio and it would trundle down at about 10mph. I tried the same trick in an American GMC Jimmy with an auto box. Not only was there next to no engine braking but the auto box automatically change from 4L to 4H while I wasn't looking! I had to use the brakes to descend hills!! Most unnerving.

What's it like in a Surf?

Comment

Originally posted by robnw67
          I was just wondering - when off roadng, what is the auto box like for engine braking?

I used to have a Daihatsu Sportrak and you could just let that roll down a hill in 2nd and 4wd-Low ratio and it would trundle down at about 10mph. I tried the same trick in an American GMC Jimmy with an auto box. Not only was there next to no engine braking but the auto box automatically change from 4L to 4H while I wasn't looking! I had to use the brakes to descend hills!! Most unnerving.

What's it like in a Surf?
          Not bad actually for an Auto box. Best thing about it is it doesn't do anything unexpected like changing gear when you don't expect it. At the Pit it tends to be fine in 4L with the box in Second. Gets you up most things as long as the tyres are good. I would say that the Surf won't be any different to the Daihatsu (well mine isn't) except for the good things like more articulation, ground clearance, strength and general all round unstopability. Just ask the Disco owners that were at the Pit yesterday.

Cheers

Comment

stuck

Incidently.... have any of you been off roading in your own and got stuck? What do you / would you do.... if you have no mates with 4x4's!
            2 Tone Mud Master!

Comment

Incidently.... have any of you been off roading in your own and got stuck? What do you / would you do.... if you have no mates with 4x4's!
              Wait till a discovery comes along,
              Wont help you very much, but will put a smile on your face when he gets in a worse state
              I never ever apologise for anything. http://www.onestopshopformultimedia.com/smile.gif If you dont like it I am sorry but thats the way I am

Comment

Originally posted by hormygollop
                Wait till a discovery comes along,
                Wont help you very much, but will put a smile on your face when he gets in a worse state
                LMAO!!
                2 Tone Mud Master!

Comment

Well... in theory... if you are greenlaning on a byway and have AA cover, I believe that the cover should apply as you are on a public right of way - whether they can or will get to you is another matter...

Seriously, I have done a bit of 'laning on my own - BUT only in the dry on tracks I knew were easily navigable... Not really to be recommended..
                  Why not stick an advert in the local paper?? Bet you'll find a few likeminded locals just waiting for the chance...
                  Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                  X