Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• icey green lane day out********

anybody fancy a trip to the lakes over the holls? havent thought of a date,
    an duno if i can remember many of the lanes up there. But should be fun gollygone2bedzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzz

Originally posted by golly
    anybody fancy a trip to the lakes over the holls? havent thought of a date,
    an duno if i can remember many of the lanes up there. But should be fun gollygone2bedzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzz

Its a possibility...will need to check diary
    Gaz

Comment

icey green gay out

hi guys i will come on a day out no probs
      hey just got a new 30 td surf all the gadgets 1997 metallic black niceeeeeeeeee

Comment

sorry guys dont think i will have the money to go that far maybe next time
        xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Hey guys , i cant go cos I have to see the inlaws, but if you are going past it you could check this one out. It is called the park head road, and it is a UCR. It is definitely bonafide and has a clear UCR sign at the start with the local restricitons that as of two weeks ago had it open but restriced to parties of four 4x4 or 6 bikes and access in daylight hours only. I looks great. we are working at the water treatment works at the bottom of the hill, but I am the only one on site with a 4x4 and I don't fancy on my own.

if you want to find the general area just type hall dunnerdale into multimap, this is where the south end of the road is and then the north end is north of seathwaite.

there is also the road that goeas from conniston general store up past the youth hostel and the paddy end coppermines to levens water. i do not know the current legal status of this one but it use to be OK and is used to access some reseviors up there by united utilities. it is dead easy. with a run up I have done it in an astramax van in the dry most of the way but hte view is great. nearer to the lake (past the coppermine spoilheads it gets steeper, only done that bit on foot.

then there is the walna scar also round there, but I think thats a whole different sort of serious. you'll find it on the net, its pretty imfamous.

Hope you guys will bring back a full report.

Dave
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Medieval Dave; 18 December 2005, 22:46.

Comment

medieval dave my kinda guy!

Ok dave so you got the inlaws cant you giv em triv persuit or somat?
            i ant done any lanes in the lakes for years and no longer have my os maps with all the lanes on em, do you have more maps that you can post thumnail type things?. this would help you say w/scar is on the net how do i find this am a bit roapy on the old tinternet.Do you know the one from the rear of hawswater dam? get back to us when you can tar gollygone
            Last edited by golly; 18 December 2005, 23:03. Reason: misd a bit

Comment

Originally posted by golly
              Ok dave so you got the inlaws cant you giv em triv persuit or somat?
              i ant done any lanes in the lakes for years and no longer have my os maps with all the lanes on em, do you have more maps that you can post thumnail type things?. this would help you say w/scar is on the net how do i find this am a bit roapy on the old tinternet.Do you know the one from the rear of hawswater dam? get back to us when you can tar gollygone
              I just print my maps off from
              http://www.multimap.com/
              Just search for the place and zoom in till you get enough detail.

here is a map of the coniston one. dont know how far you can get, the road goes on quite a bit further and I think actually connects with walna scar but I think it might get pretty boggy and am not sure of the legal status.

and unfortunately i have to see the inlaws. We keep visiting my parents, if only because my dad has muddy fields and a quad bike, but we never visit hers.
              Attached Files

Comment

A bit of a recce

Had a bit of a scout about near the park head road, on the little route over Burker fell and looking accross Dunnerdale to the park head road onto Dunnerdale fells. The park head road comes of the Kiln bank road. you just keep going north past Ulpha post office, then past the turning on the left for eskdale and wasdale (this is the burker fell road where the pictures looking accross the valley are taken from). carry on over a bridge and turn right past the phone box. follow the very narrow single track past the water treatment works (you'll see our site cabins). keep going through tight steep hairpins and over a cattlegrid. go over the top and just as you start going downhill agian youll see an unmade road sharp left by a stone wall there is a wooden post with a small red right of way/ access restriction sign on.

It looked great in the sun thisafternoon, these pictures don't really do it justice.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Medieval Dave
                  I just print my maps off from
                  http://www.multimap.com/
                  Just search for the place and zoom in till you get enough detail.

here is a map of the coniston one. dont know how far you can get, the road goes on quite a bit further and I think actually connects with walna scar but I think it might get pretty boggy and am not sure of the legal status.

and unfortunately i have to see the inlaws. We keep visiting my parents, if only because my dad has muddy fields and a quad bike, but we never visit hers.
                  Double check your routes as the two you have shown in attachments are bridleways and not for vehicular access. you dont want your pride and joy inpounded and you fined or even worse.....crushed.
                  BEWARE OF THE REAPER

Comment

Originally posted by Grimreeper
                    Double check your routes as the two you have shown in attachments are bridleways and not for vehicular access. you dont want your pride and joy inpounded and you fined or even worse.....crushed.
                    As I stated the first (park head road) is definitely A bonfide UCR. it has the official classification sign right there at the start, stating the access restrictions (4 off 4x4's or 6 bikes etc).

The one over coniston is a regular access there is actually farmhouses and a youth hostel up there, although you will note I did state that I do not know the legal status. I suspect it may not be a ROW past the hostel on the boggy bit up to levens water. Unfortunately you have to check the signs and if in doubt the definitive map - Have you noticed that there are rights of way shown on older maps now shown as bridleways or 'other rights of way'

However you are dead right to point it out - there is no indication on the map that there is a vehcular right of way apart from the sign at the end.

If am am back up on site on wednesday will take a picture of hte sign.
                    Last edited by Medieval Dave; 20 December 2005, 10:55.

Comment

As I stated the first (park head road) is definitely A bonfide UCR. it has the official classification sign right there at the start, stating the access restrictions (4 off 4x4's or 6 bikes etc).

The one over coniston is a regular access there is actually farmhouses and a youth hostel up there, although you will note I did state that I do not know the legal status. I suspect it may not be a ROW past the hostel on the boggy bit up to levens water. Unfortunately you have to check the signs and if in doubt the definitive map - Have you noticed that there are rights of way shown on older maps now shown as bridleways or 'other rights of way'

However you are dead right to point it out - there is no indication on the map that there is a vehcular right of way apart from the sign at the end.

If am am back up on site on wednesday will take a picture of hte sign.
                      As u say the old maps do show ROW but alot have been reclassified to just bridleways or footpaths. Check with local councils etc for ROW and vehicular access.
                      Also as you say about the signs. They may have been there last time, but gone now.

Before organising a g/lane trip get 2 or 3 of you and go for a reccy to check them all out. Dont go alone as you could be stuck along time.....hey chris lol
                      BEWARE OF THE REAPER

Comment

Went scouting. these pictures hopefully speak more or less for themselves. slipped off site for a bit at lunch, so only a quick scout.

1. this is what the start looks like as you approach it.
                        2. the ROW sign
                        3. This is what you can see from where you leave the tarmac
                        4. This is me going up the trail.
                        5. This is me bottling it. When you decide to just do a few hundred yard of a narrow trail, give some thought to where you will do a three point turn

Dave
                        Attached Files

Comment

Went scouting. these pictures hopefully speak more or less for themselves. slipped off site for a bit at lunch, so only a quick scout.

2. the ROW sign
                          5. This is me bottling it. When you decide to just do a few hundred yard of a narrow trail, give some thought to where you will do a three point turn

Dave

good pics Dave that will clear everything up. Do u fancy a sunday out on the 15th with the rest of us come along and say hello and have fun
                          xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

2. the ROW sign

Dave
                            great pics dave. was that the coniston route you went exploring.
                            BEWARE OF THE REAPER

Comment

Originally posted by Grimreeper
                              great pics dave. was that the coniston route you went exploring.
                              Sorry, no that was my first suggestion 'park head road', the old road from dunnerdale to seathwaite. Didn't have time to get over to coniston. All the lake district UCR,s RUPPs and BOATs are on the councils website with grid refs somewhere - seen it before but I just cant find it now.

If anyone has time on their hands to go looking that would be the way to check it out.

Dave

Those who are going should definitely have a good look at this though, could be very useful!
                              http://www.cumbriabridlewayssociety....___barrow.html
                              Last edited by Medieval Dave; 23 December 2005, 14:58.

Comment

Working...
                              X