No announcement yet.

Around Bolton!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like I'm going to be at a bit of a loose end this Saturday, anyone fancy a quick trip around these lanes?
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie
      Looks like I'm going to be at a bit of a loose end this Saturday, anyone fancy a quick trip around these lanes?
      sorry paul i cant make it this weekend no money and busy
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie

Didn't get chance to have a look, left blackburn office quite late but this weekend gonna be taken up by Horse Show down in North Staffs. Sorry
        Gaz

Comment

Get Langdale out the way and we can hit the mud every weekend then lol
          xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

No problem guys, the year is young, and the mud isn't going anywhere.

If I get bored, I may go have a look-see by myself.
            Paul </Slugsie>
            Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Damian
              OK, trouble is, I've missplaced my compass so I can't give you the OS grid ref's! Basicly, you turn left at the 298 on the map and follow it down into the forrest. You then go through a little stream and turn left immediately over the bridge, follow the 'road' past some buildings and that's it!

If you fancy a trip during the week (during the day only), we can meet up. It isn't a long lane, but it's pleasant. Not far from there is a rocky lane that takes you up to the Pigeon Tower at Rivington. I walked up it a weeks ago, and with the combination of the elements and pillock 4x4 owners it looks to be a bit of a challenge near the top. I haven't taken my Smurf up there yet!
              Which road (yellow) is that on the OS map? I wouldn't mind checking this out.

Cheers.

Comment

OK, going from bottom to top, (Landranger 103) begin at 6409 2108 and follow road until you get to a small bridge (6509 2010) Turn left and go through small stream and follow up through forest until you come to a gate (6602 2002). Turn left and continue until you reach carpark 6604 2003.

Hope this is OK and doesn't get anyone lost!!
                Damian

http://www.themudlife.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by jmc
                  Which road (yellow) is that on the OS map? I wouldn't mind checking this out.

Cheers.
                  I think youve got the BUG.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                  (")_(")

Comment

OK, trouble is, I've missplaced my compass so I can't give you the OS grid ref's! Basicly, you turn left at the 298 on the map and follow it down into the forrest. You then go through a little stream and turn left immediately over the bridge, follow the 'road' past some buildings and that's it!

If you fancy a trip during the week (during the day only), we can meet up. It isn't a long lane, but it's pleasant. Not far from there is a rocky lane that takes you up to the Pigeon Tower at Rivington. I walked up it a weeks ago, and with the combination of the elements and pillock 4x4 owners it looks to be a bit of a challenge near the top. I haven't taken my Smurf up there yet!
                    HI , Damian ,have been up the rivington route several times, not much of a challenge for a surf unless its 2 feet deep in snow, have been right over from the rivington side , past the pigeon tower and out the other side in a peugot 405 !! still managed to use it for work without anything falling off.
                    Regards Paul.

Comment

The last time I drove the 'Rivington to Pigeon Tower' lane was a few years ago in my hybrid 90 which 'walked' it. Since then it has changed quite a lot, the steps have got a lot bigger and new ruts have emerged (at least 2' deep in places). When was the last time you tried it?

Are we talking about the same track? When you get to the Pigeon Tower (coming along Georges Lane), you turn left and descend the rocky road to the carpark at the bottom?
                      Damian

Comment

The last time I drove the 'Rivington to Pigeon Tower' lane was a few years ago in my hybrid 90 which 'walked' it. Since then it has changed quite a lot, the steps have got a lot bigger and new ruts have emerged (at least 2' deep in places). When was the last time you tried it?

Are we talking about the same track? When you get to the Pigeon Tower (coming along Georges Lane), you turn left and descend the rocky road to the carpark at the bottom?
                        The last time i was up there - this monday ! , i might take another trip up today (saturday ) , however i must confess i have never turned left at the tower , only past it and through the gates to come out on the Belmont side.
                        Even the road up to the pike is not to bad for a 4x4 , its rough and lumpy but mud free! The water board do have rangers up there as they own the rivington estate , so how far ' off road ' you could go would depend on who's about on the day .
                        Regards Paul.

Comment

If you're turning left down to the carpark, do a recce first! When you turn left it's easy for the first 300 yrds, then you 'drop' down into the rough bit!
                          Good luck!

Wish I was coming, but I'm going watching Star Wars now...... wey hey!

Laters.....
                          Damian

Comment

Anyone in Manchester area got anything off-road planned for Saturday or Sunday that I could tag-along with?
                            Cheers Neil (AKA Billy Nomates )

Comment

Working...
                            X