• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More pics.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
      did you not get water up the air intake???
      Nah- just mud!

On a previous trip I found that one of the big 'Jubillee clips' after the air filter wasn't done up tight enough and a water/mud mix had been sucked into the engine. Luckily not enough went in to do damage but I had to strip down the air intake system to clean it all out. Needless to say I make sure it's air tight now before offroading!

Nevillef

Comment

Air intake?

Whats an Air intake?

Ohshi......................... .....
        Lifes for smileing at! when ya Surf's not broke!

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99

Timbersurf- please PM me your address if you want a DVD burning of all the day's images (200+).
          I would, if I could, but I cant

I think only paid up memebers can PM
          and it says you are rejecting Emails

If you contact me first, I can email you with info.

TimberSurf@elotion.co.uk

Comment

Looking at this pic I wondered if the radioator has been hosed through. The number one cause of overheating is blocked rad fins.
            It looked like great fun though.
            It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil

Looking at this pic I wondered if the radioator has been hosed through. The number one cause of overheating is blocked rad fins.
              It looked like great fun though.
              A very valid point but no- I don't usually bother hosing the rad till I get home from this offroad site. A final plunge through one of the 'cleaner' pools usually does the trick!

Nevillef
              Attached Files

Comment

I should charge royalties for that pic Nev!

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
                  A very valid point but no- I don't usually bother hosing the rad till I get home from this offroad site. A final plunge through one of the 'cleaner' pools usually does the trick!

Nevillef
                  U Seriously need to think about mud/water getting into the air intake and then through to the engine.....the air intake leads to behind the passenger headlight so generally just shy of the top of the bumper is the MAXIMUM depth without a snorkel being fitted
                  Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
                    U Seriously need to think about mud/water getting into the air intake and then through to the engine.....the air intake leads to behind the passenger headlight so generally just shy of the top of the bumper is the MAXIMUM depth without a snorkel being fitted
                    Don't worry the photo looks worse than it was! The water depth there is only up to the wheel arches - what you can see is mainly splash and bow wave ahead of the Surf. Apart from that the photo was of Timbersurf's Surf- so my engine wasn't in any danger!

I've been through this pool (and deeper) many times- but your point is well taken. Don't venture into any water unless your sure of the depth. If in doubt (at off road centres anyway) wait for someone else to go through first! Avoid fast moving water- 18" of fast water can easily sweep away a large 4x4.

To temporarily gain another 6" of wading depth you can re-arrange the air intake from behind the headlight to point backwards to near the fuel filter (you'll get a bit of air induction noise!). Not ideal but it might get you out of tight spot. For serious wading though- get a snorkel fitted!

Nevillef

Comment

.....and how much is a snorkel kit and from were?

heard it somewere about snorkel/plugs/breathers on ya axle/diff.......

were do ya get the bits, or do you make em, bespoke?

Comment

devon4x4.com do the snorkels.... and winch bumpers......
                        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Working...
                        X