Not just the head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not just the head

It's FUBAR. I got it all cleaned up. Seems it has already been skimmed and was already badly warped when it was done. It runs out by 18 thou from front to rear.
    It's only a hobby!

have you got a place for another one? there is a guy near me who will probably have one
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
      have you got a place for another one? there is a guy near me who will probably have one
      Another SJ? Unfortunately not. One lockup is for my Surf and the other is for the SJ/workshop. The one I used to be able to use occasionally for beer money is now let full time to a tiler. I think I will bide my time until I get some money behind me and go the Vauxhall/Isuzu 1.7TD route. I have invested too much time and pennies in this one to throw it away. It would be worth having another to break for spares but if I did it outside the local vultures would descend on it.
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

doh- i meant a place to get another head but if your going the vauxhall route ill steer clear
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

i can probably get hold of a suzuki head fairly easily... if you get stuck.

but tim lives right near that UK suzuki place off ebay.
          (i think?)
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Don't worry. It was me being a plonker. Not only did I misread your post Tim but it turns out that my measuring technique was all to cock.

Firstly, I was using a banana shaped straight edge agains the head when I was checking for warpage. Now I have a straight edge I can see that everyhting is in spec.

Secondly, I was misreading the feeler gauges because I keep forgetting that I need glasses to read, especially silvery letters etched on a silvery background.

I have got so far but now I discover that I need a valve spring compressor. Bugga!
            It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
              I have got so far but now I discover that I need a valve spring compressor. Bugga!
              £32.99 from screwfix... trouble is, it's a never use again tool!!

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...75423&id=20011
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I stripped the original head and it was FUBAR. It had been skimmed to within a thou of the minimum limit. The valve stems/guides, cam journals and everything are worn to well below spec.

Someone from another forum kindly donated a genuine 40K mile Samauri engine that just needed a head skim and new head gasket. Unfortunately it was stored outside with the head off. It was covered in plastic and some rainwater still managed to get into the cylinders. I thought there was just a bit of orange surface rust until I tried to remove it. Cylinders 2 & 3 are badly pitted.

I am going to weigh up the cost of either getting the block re-bored and fitting over-size pistons/rings or see how much it will be to get new piston sleeves fitted.

BTW. I used a big G clamp and a modified 3/4" hole cutter to make a valve spring compressor. It worked a treat.

I have never tried to rebuild and engine before. It' s all good practice for when the head goes on the Surf!
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                X