Open The Window!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open The Window!

It's a bit stale and dusty in here. Nobody has been in for ages.

I got a bit busy at the weekend.
    • Finished welding on the other sill.
    • Put a plate over the hole by the loud pedal.
    • Gave up trying to find a replacement o/s/f wing, so decided to modify what was left, which results in a larger inner arch, to allow for more rubber. I have posted a pic of the standard wing on the other side, which will now have to be cut out to match.
    • Welded up the floor on the passenger side.
    Well I'm slowly getting there. Hope to have it driveable for the Pit on 22nd Jan.
    Attached Files
    It's only a hobby!

looking good mate. that must have been cheap? you have done loads of welding on that now!
    will try and start stripping ours for new waterpump tomorrow. Also need to a new master cylinder, no brakes is no fun anymore!
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
      looking good mate. that must have been cheap? you have done loads of welding on that now!
      will try and start stripping ours for new waterpump tomorrow. Also need to a new master cylinder, no brakes is no fun anymore!
      I paid £180 for it. The original Aisin carb was duff.

It looks like a lot of welding but I still have 2/3 of a 3Ft x 2Ft steel sheet left.

I had to put a replacement brake master cylinder on. It took about half an hour. I don't know if you have had a quote for a new one. They are a shocking price. I got one on eBlag in the end.

Work so far:
      • Front anti-roll bar removed.
      • Petrol tank moved inside.
      • +3" shackles fitted. (I don't like the fangs effect, so I am going to fabricate my own version of D-Flex shackles).
      • Rear wheel arches, tailgate hinge surrounds, bonnet hinges surrounds, sills and floor welded.
      • Brake master cylinder replaced.
      • SU carb conversion. (still got to rig up a choke cable).

Work to do:
      • Finish snorkel.
      • Rear mount radiator.
      • Rock sliders.
      • Roll cage.
      • Fit Bedford Rascal springs on back and use rear leaves on the front.
      • Put SJ410 transfer box on.
      • Change tyres to 31/10.5/15
      • Fit 4 point harness
      There is plenty to keep me busy and in trouble with Mrs KS yet!
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
        I paid £180 for it. The original Aisin carb was duff.

It looks like a lot of welding but I still have 2/3 of a 3Ft x 2Ft steel sheet left.

I had to put a replacement brake master cylinder on. It took about half an hour. I don't know if you have had a quote for a new one. They are a shocking price. I got one on eBlag in the end.

Work so far:
        • Front anti-roll bar removed.
        • Petrol tank moved inside.
        • +3" shackles fitted. (I don't like the fangs effect, so I am going to fabricate my own version of D-Flex shackles).
        • Rear wheel arches, tailgate hinge surrounds, bonnet hinges surrounds, sills and floor welded.
        • Brake master cylinder replaced.
        • SU carb conversion. (still got to rig up a choke cable).
        Work to do:
        • Finish snorkel.
        • Rear mount radiator.
        • Rock sliders.
        • Roll cage.
        • Fit Bedford Rascal springs on back and use rear leaves on the front.
        • Put SJ410 transfer box on.
        • Change tyres to 31/10.5/15
        • Fit 4 point harness
        There is plenty to keep me busy and in trouble with Mrs KS yet!
        hope to have the first MOT on mine this week so may make it to Barton for the 22nd
        mine also needs a lot of modifications to the bodywork (Ductape)

any news on SparXs Zuk project?
        [url="http://www.frappr.com/smurfowners"]Surf MAp[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by cellone
          hope to have the first MOT on mine this week so may make it to Barton for the 22nd
          mine also needs a lot of modifications to the bodywork (Ductape)

any news on SparXs Zuk project?
          Don't be a wuss! Get the welder and angle grinder out.

Haven't heard from Sparx for ages. Wot's 'appenin' Sparx???
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
            Don't be a wuss! Get the welder and angle grinder out.

Haven't heard from Sparx for ages. Wot's 'appenin' Sparx???
            Erm..... brrrrr too cold to be climbing under that thing !

You know how these things start ..... all good intentions then the money runs out. but , its running ( new bat and Cables )
            Fitted a Homemade snorkle.
            I have a new rad to stick on it , in the front for now !
            I have replaced all the transfer box mounts with big rubbery landie ones !
            I got handy with the Grinder and cut out a rusty arch or two
            and I got a couple of Mig welders that I haven't tried out yet.

Probably not going to make it to the 22nd, but will try and get it to the next one

Originally i was going to prep it before i ran it at all . I think now , I will just take it up there and run it to see what breaks , and what needs changing to make it safer / better . wanted seats and harness and roll bar before i took it . Think i will just suck it and see
            http://www.darksidesolutions.co.uk - Web Solutions

Comment

That's the spirit. I wish in a way that I had just done the carb conversion and taken it to the pit for a thrash. Nearly there now - weather permitting.
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

Hi guys, i have an early SJ410. You say carbs are ****- mine has developed a fault that it has had before. The carb seems to be blowing the fuel back into the tank causing fuel starvation. It has a small chamber on the top and when you mess about with that, i.e take the top off or blow it out with an airline, it seems to work. I rebuilt carb last year, but problem has re-occured. Any ideas???

Comment

Originally posted by charliemuttley
                  Hi guys, i have an early SJ410. You say carbs are ****- mine has developed a fault that it has had before. The carb seems to be blowing the fuel back into the tank causing fuel starvation. It has a small chamber on the top and when you mess about with that, i.e take the top off or blow it out with an airline, it seems to work. I rebuilt carb last year, but problem has re-occured. Any ideas???
                  An SU 1 1/4" carbureta off a mini (the two hole one) would be a good replacement. They can be made to fit with a little bit of filing.

The side draught carbs on the 410s are not bad. The Haynes Manual shows you how to set the float level and set them up correctly.

The downdraught carbs on the 413s start give trouble at about 80K miles. The problem is they are so complicated that, when they are worn, it is easier to replace with a weber or do what I did and make an SU adaptor.

Have you checked to see if your fuel line is perforated anywhere? Mine was rusting away where it joins the tank and was sucking in air with the fuel. I sealed it with some tank repair paste and replaced the metal fuel line with plastic reinfroced hose. That cured it.

Good luck.
                  It's only a hobby!

Comment

mines still parked in our field... not a lot's moved there lately!!
                    landrover has new V8 in it but still not finished... (but that's not mine!!)

range rover blew the diff at xmas

white suzuki got crashed into a tree!

red one's got no axles

green one, i think the wheels have been sold, so that's on blocks!

it's all going slowly in the cold!!
                    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                    X