VW Transporter T4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VW Transporter T4

As you guys are a wealth and fontain of knowledge... and i have had no help from a VW forum!
    Anyone here know the T4's very well?
    I'm looking to get a T4 bout a p reg 1.9Tdi... but I dont really know what to look for in terms of options extras if there are such a thing on those vans, and also weaknesses, rust etc...
    Anyhelp would be much appreciated..
    cheers
    CM
    2 Tone Mud Master!
    http://www.sunsetsurf.co.uk

Dont know what a P reg is, 98? Anyway we have 2 T4 pickups, one '00 van and one '03 van. The pickups are 2.5 normal and the vans are 2.5TDi (what a powerhouse!!!!!!!)

In the past year the '00 needed a new clutch and CV boot so you might look at those, also one engine mount has broken twice in the year. Alternator belt went. I suppose and the clutch was the reason we bought the van coz it was going cheaper. As far as I remember though the clutch was something like €700 and the parts fella asked me did the van have a flywheel ???? Apparently the clutch/flywheel is one assembly and very expensive to replace on that ACV engine anyway, dont know bout your 1.9, worth enquiring about if the clutch is dodgy. Eats brake pads for breakfast.

'German Swedish and French' are great for sourcing good quality pattern parts for VWs. I believe they've loads of outlets in UK. Just always have your engine code to hand and know a little or they'll catch you out straight away. I enquired about the clutch and they asked me did the model have ABS!!

Surprisingly the '03 T4 caravelle (think its a T4) needed a new clutch within the first year. The boss got it chipped from new and the 2.5TDi just blows you away - its a real bullet I love it and it hates diesel. Eats brake pads for breakfast too.

The '96 and '98 pickups have no rust but here in Eire theres not the salt problem to the extent you have over there in UK, absolutely no rust though. Now those are engines that sound like they just dont want to be running. With one of them either the headgasket has gone or some dipstick put oil in the water bottle (very possible believe it). We've had snapped track rods and i think a busted lower ball joint but those too dangerous incidents which resulted in the wheel just folding over can maybe be explained away by the fools who were hitting ditches and saying nothing about it. Window handle fecked on one coz window stuck.

Check the heating controls coz they are crap on VWs.
    Good maintenance should avoid most of the above I'd say.

Comment

Thanks for your input JimL, i'll keep all that in mind when I sell me truck and start looking.
      I was lucky when I bought my truck as I hadn't come across yotasurf, but i could have easily bought a right turkey. Forums like this I find invaluable for popular opinions and helpfull tips.

Originally posted by JimL
      Dont know what a P reg is, 98? Anyway we have 2 T4 pickups, one '00 van and one '03 van. The pickups are 2.5 normal and the vans are 2.5TDi (what a powerhouse!!!!!!!)

In the past year the '00 needed a new clutch and CV boot so you might look at those, also one engine mount has broken twice in the year. Alternator belt went. I suppose and the clutch was the reason we bought the van coz it was going cheaper. As far as I remember though the clutch was something like €700 and the parts fella asked me did the van have a flywheel ???? Apparently the clutch/flywheel is one assembly and very expensive to replace on that ACV engine anyway, dont know bout your 1.9, worth enquiring about if the clutch is dodgy. Eats brake pads for breakfast.

'German Swedish and French' are great for sourcing good quality pattern parts for VWs. I believe they've loads of outlets in UK. Just always have your engine code to hand and know a little or they'll catch you out straight away. I enquired about the clutch and they asked me did the model have ABS!!

Surprisingly the '03 T4 caravelle (think its a T4) needed a new clutch within the first year. The boss got it chipped from new and the 2.5TDi just blows you away - its a real bullet I love it and it hates diesel. Eats brake pads for breakfast too.

The '96 and '98 pickups have no rust but here in Eire theres not the salt problem to the extent you have over there in UK, absolutely no rust though. Now those are engines that sound like they just dont want to be running. With one of them either the headgasket has gone or some dipstick put oil in the water bottle (very possible believe it). We've had snapped track rods and i think a busted lower ball joint but those too dangerous incidents which resulted in the wheel just folding over can maybe be explained away by the fools who were hitting ditches and saying nothing about it. Window handle fecked on one coz window stuck.

Check the heating controls coz they are crap on VWs.
      Good maintenance should avoid most of the above I'd say.
      2 Tone Mud Master!

Comment

Local cab company has a P reg ('97 I think) Transporter - the 7/8 seater version. Last time I was in it (July 04) it had 485,000 miles on it. It had munched its original gearbox and a used replacement, and was on its 3rd one.. Still see it around though. Driver said the engine was getting tired and slow - it sounded okay but not great! Oh and it smelt of puke inside
        Last edited by Rob; 7 April 2005, 23:11.

Comment

oops - I have absolutely no idea what size engine was in it though,

Comment

I have been having a discussion about Tdi's and regular D's i.e turbo and non turbo..
            Which will be more economical, a 1.9d or a 1.9Td ?? Assuming medium load and mostly A road driving....
            cheers
            CM

Originally posted by carbonman
            As you guys are a wealth and fontain of knowledge... and i have had no help from a VW forum!
            Anyone here know the T4's very well?
            I'm looking to get a T4 bout a p reg 1.9Tdi... but I dont really know what to look for in terms of options extras if there are such a thing on those vans, and also weaknesses, rust etc...
            Anyhelp would be much appreciated..
            cheers
            CM
            2 Tone Mud Master!

Comment

Anyone?
              Someone must know!

Originally posted by carbonman
              I have been having a discussion about Tdi's and regular D's i.e turbo and non turbo..
              Which will be more economical, a 1.9d or a 1.9Td ?? Assuming medium load and mostly A road driving....
              cheers
              CM
              2 Tone Mud Master!

Comment

Working...
              X