Breathe More Easily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breathe More Easily

I was reading the thread on modding air boxes and removing tubes etc.

Didnt quite understand what was being done by removing the tube from the airbox.

Does anyone make a performance type air filter replacment like K&N.

Thanks in advance.

Mike.

Originally posted by MikeSurf
    I was reading the thread on modding air boxes and removing tubes etc.

Didnt quite understand what was being done by removing the tube from the airbox.

Does anyone make a performance type air filter replacment like K&N.

Thanks in advance.

Mike.
    Mike.

Simple mod to improve breathing is to take the elbow pipe on the inlet side of the airfilter and remove it from the plastic tube that runs to the front of the car, you can then turn it to face the bulkhead. The reasoning behind this is that the plastic tube constricts the air flow and by removing it allows more air in. This also helps when running in water to stop injestion of water into the aircleaner and then the engine which is VERY BAD and can cause hydraulic locking of the engine - and a very big rebuild bill.

However.... I did this on mine and while low end grunt was improved, top end power was reduced, I think this is because the restriction in the plastic duct from the front increases air speed and reduces the temperature - giving a Ram air effect. Also because it comes from the front of the car, the pressure is increased in it because of vehicle speed.

Off road I would say it is a good mod as low down grunt is improved plus the reduction in risk when running in water (if you don't have a snorkle). On road I would say it is a bad mod. It also increases induction roar as well.

You can get K&N kits for the Surf, if you do a search on here for K&N I think you will find that someone posted the part number.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks andy, I will have a look under the bonnet tonight and see what its all about.

Thanks again, I understand now.

Cheers
      Last edited by MikeSurf; 4 October 2004, 15:46.

Comment

Breathing

Just a thaught

My diesel experience comes from boat engines where the last thing you want is an unguarded small air intake. Might be pretty nasty for your engineer if he brushes up against the exposed pipe end as the engine will keep on sucking if skin blocks the intake.

Comment

Originally posted by Steadi
          Just a thaught

My diesel experience comes from boat engines where the last thing you want is an unguarded small air intake. Might be pretty nasty for your engineer if he brushes up against the exposed pipe end as the engine will keep on sucking if skin blocks the intake.
          You are right although I don't think the suction on the Surf is that good. However when moved the pipe end is still in a pretty safe place. You would have more danger from the fan rotating if you are under the bonnet with the engine running.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
            You can get K&N kits for the Surf, if you do a search on here for K&N I think you will find that someone posted the part number.
            It was me - it's here http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6785
            Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedawn
              how'd it go.. any improvement over the std milner part?

Comment

Difficult to tell if there is any real improvement in performance - my truck breathes through a snorkel so has fairly good air input anyway. The main advantage is that it doesn't need any servicing for the next 100,000 miles!
                Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Working...
                X