yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toyota Hilux MK5 Restoration And UZ Swap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever since I got my truck back, I've had an issue with the rear lamps. I put this down to the rear harness being a bit messed up, after I removed the tow bar electrics. I was looking at a new harness, which worked out at well over £300 from Toyota.

I decided to pull the lamps out today, and compare the connections on the lamps themselves with that of my originals. Lo and behold, there was an incorrect pin layout on the nearside unit. After I corrected it, the lamps are working as they should. I also wired up the license plate lamps.

The stainless MK6 rear bumper came with a single lamp in the middle, though there are the usual cutouts for the twin lamp set-up. Interestingly, the MK5 lamps are a direct fit. I guess it makes sense, seeing as the MK6/7 also has a base model, which lacking a rear bumper, has the licence plate and lamps on the rear valence. All I had to do was extend the harness, and wire them up.

Tomorrow I'm booked in to have the headlamps aligned, as right now the beams can be seen from space. Time permitting, I'll fit the front wheel arch liners. I've only got one rear, the offside, and before I can fit it, I need to extend the fuel filler neck. I'm still on the hunt for a nearside rear, and most of the usual suspects only have Double Cabin models breaking, and I'm not sure how different they are to the Single Cabin version.

The hunt continues.

Comment

• Yesterday, I had my headlamps properly aligned at a testing station. So at long last, I can actually drive my truck at night, without dazzling other road users.

I was also able to take some more high resolution pictures at a location other than my driveway.

Comment

• Comment

• Very nice.
          Brian

Comment

• Originally posted by yoshie View Post
            Very nice.
            Thanks, Mr Yoshie.

Comment

• After much thought, I have decided to go with an alternative power plant in my truck. Initially the plan was to keep it all Toyota, and I ended up with a pair of Lexus' - a 1998 LS400 non-VVTi and a 2001 LS430 VVTi. Both are awesome V8 motors in their own right.

However, the V8 offerings from Audi do produce considerably more power and torque in stock form. Even the earliest 3.6 V8 32V in the 1988 Audi V8 D11 produced 250hp.

I have an S8 motor from a 1998 Audi S8, a 4.2 V8 32V, this produces 340hp and 430Nm in stock trim. It's also a very rev-happy engine, redlined at a heady 7000rpm. It sounds very different to both my Lexus' , a nice rumble at low to mid throttle, rising to an angry rasping roar when driven in anger.

The S8 engine is very different to the standard Audi A8 4.2 V8 32V engine, which produces 300hp and 410Nm torque (still higher than the Lexus' output) and is redlined at 6500rpm.

I'm currently working on either an adapter plate solution, retaining the Hilux bell housing, allowing the S8 engine to bolt up, or an adapter losing the Hilux bell housing, allowing a cut off and suitably modified Audi bell housing to bolt to the Hilux transmission. We are currently about to relocate, so not much will be taking place right now, in terms of stripping down an Audi (I have 2 A4's) or removing the S8 engine from my DTM Race Audi A4 Quattro, which is having an Audi A8 4.2 V8 40V in place of the S8 unit.

We'll see how it all pans out, I may have both Lexus' for sale depending on the outcome.

Comment

• Audi S8 engine in one of these? I'll be watching this with interest

Will it fit?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sylux View Post
                  Audi S8 engine in one of these? I'll be watching this with interest

Will it fit?
                  Dimension-wise, the AHC engine is no larger than the UZ. It all boils down to adapting the Audi motor to the R151 transmission.

Comment

• I have a cad file with the R151 stud pattern. The outer pattern is for the 1UZ bellhousing but it could be a useful file for the starting pattern of yours?

Comment

I have a cad file with the R151 stud pattern. The outer pattern is for the 1UZ bellhousing but it could be a useful file for the starting pattern of yours?
                      Thanks! That could be a great help in getting things moving.

Comment

• love this, great job so far
                        the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

I have a cad file with the R151 stud pattern. The outer pattern is for the 1UZ bellhousing but it could be a useful file for the starting pattern of yours?
                          I would be interested in your file, Mr Sylus.

How much am I looking at? My apologies for asking here, unfortunately I can't send PM's, the PM option isn't available, I'm not sure why.

You could send me a text, if you prefer?

Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Siena View Post
                            I would be interested in your file, Mr Sylus.

I can't send PM's, the PM option isn't available, I'm not sure why

Thanks!
                            its because you need to pay a fee/subscription to be able to do it, you will find more info if you search on FAQ
                            the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

• Originally posted by budweiser View Post
                              its because you need to pay a fee/subscription to be able to do it, you will find more info if you search on FAQ
                              Thanks, Mr Budweiser.

Comment

• Originally posted by Siena View Post
                                Thanks, Mr Budweiser.
                                just read all your posts great looking truck.

have you any updates for us
                                4x4s get you where others fear to tread

Comment

Working...
                                X