how flat is the roof - gen 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how flat is the roof - gen 2?

I have been thinking about making a DIY roof rack for my Surf, was toying with the idea of bolting 2X 2000x50x5mm angle sections along the roof with 10mm holes drilled every 100mm to make it adaptable to suit anything I might consider bolting up their along with providing a proper stable pair of runners for carrying mdf etc that won't fit in....

has anyone ever bolted a solid straight angle bar to a roof and will it distort real bad?

ta

Not sure about the angle iron question but maybe look into the rails on the 3rd gen - I was thinking of having a go at fitting a pair of them to my 2nd gen.

Rob.

Comment

here's a quick mock up of what I was thinking:

I like the idea of it being adaptable, possibly add lights and hi lift jack to it as well

Comment

That looks nice. Got to be worth getting a straight edge on the roof to test. Possible to cut and weld a few sections of angle to follow a slight curve if needed ?

Rob.

Comment

was also thinking about cutting to shape some nylon block as packers if the curve is too much,

was planning on using aluminium for the channels to keep weight down, so don't know how it would deform to roof shape

Comment

so after some measuring and material pricing this is the finished design:

to be made from 50x50x3 6061 T6 aluminium angle, and I intend to use some 50mm diameter black nylon block to mount between the rack and roof - sanded to meet the contour of the roof.

and assuming the model is correct dimensions (tho by my measurements the rack would be near level with the edges of the car) this is something like it would look like fitted:

Last edited by DLowe; 27 November 2013, 19:59.

Comment

This thread on the Spanish site may be of interest.

http://translate.google.com/translat...42c9&sandbox=1
              " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

that looks pretty good, but I bet the costs in England to buy the rails would be massive

Comment

Working...
                X