bobbing the fat ass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bobbing the fat ass

decided to cut off the large overhang of the surf as i keep catching it when off roading and also to reduce a little weight as the back always seems to droop

1st off cut the roof off

next cut the back off neat ready to be welded back on

pic with back cut off

profile of the body steel

profile of the strengthened roof steel

pic of location of back body mount and chassis ready to be moved to new poistion

position of cut line on the roof just past the thickening

body mount cut and welding in new postion 300mm further in

300mm cut off and ready for welding

now welded back on looking OK. needs tarting up but that will be next weekend!

Last edited by dannyboy77; 12 November 2013, 13:50.
    http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55797

Kudos to you Dan, but I still have to give you this......

Comment

Are you going to leave it as a pickup?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
        Kudos to you Dan, but I still have to give you this......

i know how you feel about this subject vince ha! the back bumper is that dinted its a no brainer for the muddy off road club, i know its face palm for the shiney club though.

i actually thinks it looks OK slightly shortened but we could discuss this all day long! but the amount the back lifts up once all that weight is off is amazing! i will be putting some back when i fit a rear winch bumper.

i will be putting scaffolding tubes from where i have cut the roof to just about the rear lights and have a perspex back window! i have an LPG tank in the back so i need to cover it and get access to it so this is why i am going the option i just described!

Comment

Cutting is fun, keep the pictures coming pal.
          Brian

Comment

Danny, since meeting you at Avalanche/Sibbertoft and reading your posts, I can honestly say, in my opinion, your truck, and your ethics, have always been about performance over looks.

Personally, I think bobbed Surfs look cool, if done right. But as an out and out off roader... what the hell... cut it to bits man!

Certainly looks meaner than the last time I saw it

"B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
            www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Hey Dan. You've got more balls ( And talent ) than me.
              " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

cheers chaps

yeah John it is a vehicle for all occasions my is for off roading!

the interesting bit is yet to come on how to sort rear winch bumper and keep the spare wheel may have to come up with some creative design! but it should work out!

will keep you all posted! or any ideas welcome!

Comment

Build an under slung cradle mounted off the chassis to carry a winch box/plate. I have pictures somewhere, I will dig them out for you.
                  Brian

Comment

Last edited by yoshie; 13 November 2013, 20:30.
                    Brian

Comment

Good work Danny
                      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post

thanks for that yoshie! a good solution there! the most difficult problem i face is trying to find a place for the spare wheel and the winch bumper as i cant have it were it currently is which is on a gatefold on the back if i want a winch bumper as they will clash! so more head scratching! the LPG tank doesnt help either as that takes up a lot of room! i could either put it on the slope of the back and make it look like a dakar racer or put it inside the tailgate or get rid of the tailgate. i dont think i can keep all the elements something will have to go!

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                        Good work Danny
                        thanks keersurf not done yet but im getting there! hopefully more pics this weekend!?!?

Comment

I hope everyone is sitting down.. What about taking an idea from those Land Rover thingies and stick it on the bonnet?
                          Paul

Surfless, donations welcome.

Comment

hi all been quiet over christmas and new year but have carrying on with the mod. not finished yet but getting there at least its waterproofish!

the metal sheet on the back sits about 350mm in from the out most point of the curve of the body at the back. as i will make a rack from waffle boards farm jack and spare tyre so they wont stick out beyond the profile of the truck. as you can see the chassis rail is right up to the rear of the truck and i can now fit a winch bumper in the bottom profile of where the tail gate would be. i am taking it off complete 1 for weight as it is very heavy and 2 i couldnt get a winch bumper there without lowering it so the tail gate opens above it. it would be too low and catch and reduce the departure angle. more pics should make it clearer

from the side. so the spare wheel and waffle board and farm jack will be in the recess created winch bumper be above the exhaust and below the floor of the truck

reason for doing it this was is the LPG tank in the back

access panel in the back to see the on board air gauge

not finished but phase 1 done. polycarb window. and primered so wont rust ha! have siliconed and screwed in the window but will get a rubber seal around it when start to finish and tart it up.

wheel base does look shorter! you can see the room i will have for the spare wheel. didnt want it where the back window was as 1 so i could see out the back and 2 to lower the centre of gravity as 32's are heavy!

next is to make the rear winch bumper and modify the front so the winch sits on a plate with the fairlead and you can unbolt it and move it from the front to the back etc cheaper and light than buying 2 winches

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy77 View Post
                              next is to make the rear winch bumper and modify the front so the winch sits on a plate with the fairlead and you can unbolt it and move it from the front to the back etc cheaper and light than buying 2 winches
                              But not great when you need to winch out backwards and your winch is on the front nose deep in death valley mud
                              Good work pal glad to see someone else busy. Definitely meet in the lakes for beer this summer.
                              Last edited by yoshie; 3 March 2014, 23:09.
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X