Front bumper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front bumper

As I'm going through a stage of much required TLC on the truck I have removed the front bumper to have a good look at the condition of it.
    It had what appeared to be some slight cracking of the chrome drivers side return bend.
    With the bumper fully removed and now in the garage it would appear that the rust was actually holding the thing together consequently I have a fist sized hole in the corner.
    I don't think it is going to be worth stripping the chrome and repairing and having it chromed.
    So options please.

I like the lines with the bumper although that is not cast in stone.
    Have any of you used the original bumper as a mould for making a new one from fibre glass?
    It also does not have to have the indicator slots either.
    What other bumper options do I have?
    Would a bumper from the Hilux Pickup fit?
    Any other suggestions ?
    Thanks for your time.
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Hey Ady. A Mk3 pickup bumper should fit, possibly with some modifications. Why not go for a painted Surf one. They never seem to rust, and you can cut away the valance at the corners for better clearance when off road. (See pic). The other option is to have a word with Brian. He's just fabbed a fantastic one for a member on here.
    Attached Files
    " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Ady, you can have my old Lexurf bumper complete with four spots with built-in sidelights if you come and service my 3rd gen's A/C.
      It's hanging up in the workshop and looks like this...
      http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...ght=de-chromed

Comment

@ Mick
        I like the stance it gives the truck with the valance shaved.
        Especially as when I took the valance off the bumper the fibreglass ends trim got slightly damaged.
        I have no idea why they used captive bolts when they could have just used a screw into the plastic bracket.

What did you use to shave the valance ?

@ Vince
        Done deal
        This weekend is very very good for me, just been informed the M I L is coming to stay this Friday.
        Saturday morning ok ?
        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
          @ Vince
          Done deal
          This weekend is very very good for me, just been informed the M I L is coming to stay this Friday.
          Saturday morning ok ?

Marvelous.

Comment

[QUOTE=shokenore;807302]@ Mick
            I like the stance it gives the truck with the valance shaved.
            Especially as when I took the valance off the bumper the fibreglass ends trim got slightly damaged.
            I have no idea why they used captive bolts when they could have just used a screw into the plastic bracket.

What did you use to shave the valance ?

I was going to remove the whole valance at first, and I just started hacking the corners off to get at the bolts. At first I used an angle grinder, but it went through it like butter. It was then that I thought of leaving the middle bit on.I did the majority of the rest of it with an old kitchen knife, and the last bit of trimming with a Stanley. TBH It's still a bit rough, and I need to finish the edge off with a final smoothing out with a sander

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
              Hey Ady. A Mk3 pickup bumper should fit, possibly with some modifications. Why not go for a painted Surf one. They never seem to rust, and you can cut away the valance at the corners for better clearance when off road. (See pic). The other option is to have a word with Brian. He's just fabbed a fantastic one for a member on here.
              Where did you get those recovery eyes or did you fabricate them?

Comment

Originally posted by ajstars View Post
                Where did you get those recovery eyes or did you fabricate them?
                Here you go Andrew. Hope this helps.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=78863

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
                  Here you go Andrew. Hope this helps.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=78863

Comment

http://www.trail-gear.com/front-bumpers

This is what I run on my hilux

Comment

Working...