Lexurf Final drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lexurf Final drive

OK - need some clarification on this! I was trying to get some idea of how thirsty a Lexurf is likely to be and what potential speeds would be.

Not being entirely straight on how the lexus box fits in with the surf gearing, I expected that 5k rpm on each engine would result in the same speed - am I correct? If so, then seeing as you have to stick your foot right through the floor to get it to rev over 5.5k, with the v8 in, you should get the same speed and performance with the engine working relatively less hard. Am I right??

The other question is the amount of torque at low revs - obviously great with the diesel - probably equally so with the 4l monster!

I saw somewhere a 0-60 estimate of 6.5 seconds, which seems to indicate that low end torque is no problem at all

day to day driving mpg, anyone?

Top speed? I know it is not the most aerodynamic of cars, but i wonder at what point the air resistance beats the power
    ------------------------
    Truck? What truck .......

Originally posted by sadinn View Post
    OK - need some clarification on this! I was trying to get some idea of how thirsty a Lexurf is likely to be and what potential speeds would be.

Not being entirely straight on how the lexus box fits in with the surf gearing, I expected that 5k rpm on each engine would result in the same speed - am I correct? If so, then seeing as you have to stick your foot right through the floor to get it to rev over 5.5k, with the v8 in, you should get the same speed and performance with the engine working relatively less hard. Am I right??

No, you would have to factor in tyre size, diff and gear ratios as these will differ from the ls400. You will have less speed more pulling power.

The other question is the amount of torque at low revs - obviously great with the diesel - probably equally so with the 4l monster!

I saw somewhere a 0-60 estimate of 6.5 seconds, which seems to indicate that low end torque is no problem at all

I think the 1uz produces a similar amount of torque to a 3.0D, people can correct me but would expect about 7.5 - 8.0 seconds 0-60.

day to day driving mpg, anyone?

25 mpg if you drive like you have miss daisy in the back at 55 with a tail wind.

Top speed? I know it is not the most aerodynamic of cars, but i wonder at what point the air resistance beats the power

Doesn't matter, can imagine it's bloomin' scary nearing three figures.

Again people, feel free to correct me on any of these points.

Comment

I'm saying nothing, if you need to ask these questions the V8 may not be for you

I bought mine purely for the grin factor it provides and don't bother looking at the mpg as it would probably scare my wallet into hiding

All i know is it's well fast enough and hopefully with a minor tweak shortly will be running even better

Comment

If you have REALLY big cahoonas and a decent stretch of private road/runway then 3 figures aint out the question...
        http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=77314

and 0-60 ish, probably around the 8 second mark. Here's a little vid of an early lexurf accelerating. Not exactly 0-60 stuff, but you get the idea of how the needles can move...

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=77769

This truck was on 33" muds btw...
        "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
        www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

I'd have thought the figures was a given.. mine would cruise at that on 33s when it was a diesel.

I really wish Work would stop sending me all over the country! I want to finish mine!
          More Lift.
          More Tyres.
          More Engine.

Comment

mpg depends on what you are running on e.g. remould mud tyres or what aloso the amount of lift you have 2" lift etc? i have 32" remould muds with 6" of lift total and i would say at 60mph get about 190 to a 65l tank give or take but when im it for long distance it means im off roading too so cant be too sure on accurate mpg. the other criteria isnt really important or if it is put the lexus in an MX5 it would hell of a lot more fun on the road!
            http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55797

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
              I'd have thought the figures was a given.. mine would cruise at that on 33s when it was a diesel.
              Well that's what I mean! in my 3 litre i took it off the clock before i got scared!

Originally posted by kwakka666

No, you would have to factor in tyre size, diff and gear ratios as these will differ from the ls400. You will have less speed more pulling power.
              But given the Lexus engine should rev higher than the diesel, i was confused watching Wolfracers vid (with the sound turned up!) as it seemed to change gear in the same low rev range as the diesel.

I am probably either missing something obvious - or I need to do a bit more research on gearing ratios in the 3.0d
              ------------------------

Comment

Wolfracer's had a 2.4 rear axle, 33" tyres, a slightly different ratio (replacement) Lexus auto 'box and the ECT wasn't hooked up IIRC.

To keep the 0-60 times low, you need 31" tyres or re-gear the diffs.
                The three Lexurfs I did which had standard size tyres were much quicker at accelerating away from the lights, victims included;
                1998 Toyota Celica.
                2002 BMW 530D.
                MK1 Golf GTI.
                Plus a BMW X5 that couldn't get away from me.

The V8s are electronically limited to 6800 RPM with the stock ECUs.

One other thing, the Surf's rev counter isn't very accurate with the Lexus ECU controlling it.
                Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 17 August 2013, 22:35.

Comment

That road was on an incline...drove it today in the D4d and not much happened in comparison!
                  Yes it could have done with slightly shorter ratios... but it still makes you smile when you feel the acceleration. A standard 3.0 on big muds starts to run out of puff after legal speeds.. the lexurfs don't.
                  And if you've had a standard 3.0d off the clock, I applaude you. Did it overheat straight after?
                  My speedo read half rpm i reckon. What you can't hear on the video cos of the wind noise is the roar of that engine. pure smoothness all the way.
                  "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                  www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                    And if you've had a standard 3.0d off the clock, I applaude you. Did it overheat straight after?
                    Haha - big long downhill straight with a following wind coming out of Guildford ! Got it just over the 1O5 point and panicked slightly - no overheating though - have to say that it has been great enginewise ever since I've had it - regularly done trips from London to Somerset ticking along at 85/90 (km/h of course.....) - absolutely rock solid.

So its the big muds that make the difference? might have to stay off them for a little while then - would like bigger tyres but need to strike a balance between the two.
                    ------------------------

Comment

Working...
                    X