Intake options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake options?

I am looking to improve the air intake and I am wondering what options are available. The standard set-up looks fairly daft to me; why is the intake going over the hot engine to the other side of the bay?

I was thinking a closed filter on the end of the turbo would be better but there is no-where decent to put a cold feed. There is no chance to go straight through the wing as the fuel heater box is in the way. I was thinking about just making a hole and putting it straight out of the wheel arch.

Will this stand up to normal driving? At the worst a flooded road? I will be going off-road but no river crossings. I would fit a bypass valve too but I doubt water would get in anyway in those conditions, correct me if I am wrong?

you are looking for a snorkel
    the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

I don't really want to pay £70 plus for one and I don't have time to make one. I was just going to run the pipe into the wheel arch as a cheaper optigon if its not going to suck water up. If I deicide I need one at a later date I can just extend the pipe up the arch and out the top of the wing.

Comment

This is joke right? You're criticising the orginal set up, yet then post this?

I was thinking about just making a hole and putting it straight out of the wheel arch.
        and then to top it all...

I don't really want to pay £70 plus for one and I don't have time to make one.
        Come on, you won't 'improve' anything like this, 'cold air' intakes make very little difference to an average turbo diesel engine, you're better off fitting an intercooler, the orginal system is cold air anyway, from around the O/S headlight. The short distance from the filterbox to turbo is going to very little difference to intake air temps, it doesn't hang around in there you know, then goes into a red hot turbo!

Wheel arches fill up with water on any wet road, let alone floods, you'll never keep the filter dry.

Decent snorkels swirl the water out of the airflow and drain it from the snorkel head.

IMHO, you're just wasting your time, there are far more important mods to make around the cooling system you need to be spending time and MONEY doing.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post

This is joke right? You're criticising the orginal set up, yet then post this?
          Can you explain why its a good design? The other side would have been much better IMO.

Come on, you won't 'improve' anything like this, 'cold air' intakes make very little difference to an average turbo diesel engine, you're better off fitting an intercooler, the orginal system is cold air anyway, from around the O/S headlight. The short distance from the filterbox to turbo is going to very little difference to intake air temps, it doesn't hang around in there you know, then goes into a red hot turbo!
          The main intention was just to make it throatier without the dire heat-soak from an open cone.

Wheel arches fill up with water on any wet road, let alone floods, you'll never keep the filter dry.
          I didn't think this would be an issue as the arches are high and many many cars have air intakes in the wheel arches. My Peugeot is one of them and I drove it in water coming up to the bottom of the windscreen and still got out.

Decent snorkels swirl the water out of the airflow and drain it from the snorkel head.
          I was thinking of a snorkel possibly later down the line. A snorkel on that side would no doubt be better anyway as the shorter pipe would mean a higher vacuum. so I could just extent the pipe up the arch and through the bottom of the wing anyway at a later date if I wanted to.

I was thinking about an intercooler, again later down the line although I have not found out how much it will cost yet or how much of a ball ache it will be. However I could just use a cheap cone in that case as heat-soak is not an issue on intercooled engines. If I do intercool it then I don't want to be left unnecessarily out of pocket and have a hole in my wing.

Comment

I didn't say it was a great design, I just meant you think you're going to be able to improve it for less than £70 and not much effort you think Toyota would have thought of it first?

There isn't any issue with how its set up to me, any heating up of the intake air just crossing the rocker cover is going to be negligable compared to the temp of the turbo.

Just trying to save you wasting time or hydrolocking motor, you asked, I answered.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Rob5464 View Post
              My Peugeot is one of them and I drove it in water coming up to the bottom of the windscreen and still got out.
              Really?
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Have you considered cutting a hole in your bonnet and fixing your cone filter on a short stub of hose so the cone filter is proud of the bonnet .
                plenty of cold(er) air outside of the engine bay ,you will get that throaty sound you desire, and wont have to worry about driving through water,unless the water comes over your bonnet.
                I can't think why and how Toyota missed such an obvious solution.
                Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
                  Have you considered cutting a hole in your bonnet and fixing your cone filter on a short stub of hose so the cone filter is proud of the bonnet .
                  plenty of cold(er) air outside of the engine bay ,you will get that throaty sound you desire, and wont have to worry about driving through water,unless the water comes over your bonnet.
                  I can't think why and how Toyota missed such an obvious solution.
                  A but Mr Tobyjug beat him to it years ago, 'O' how we laughed.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49651

Don't feed the Trolls this has to be a wind up.
                  Last edited by yoshie; 20 May 2012, 09:27.
                  Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                    A but Mr Tobyjug beat him to it years ago, 'O' how we laughed
                    Brian, that is hilarious! The Surf seems to be one of those vehicles were poeple lose the plot with the mods.

I was thinking a closed filter on the end of the turbo would be better but there is no-where decent to put a cold feed.
                    Why?

The air still has to go through the compression stage of the turbo were it's going to get heated anyway. Like Tony said, an intercooler for the compressed air is an option and one that has been done many times by fellow members.

And anyway are closed cold air induction kits not suited more to naturally aspirated petrol engines?
                    Last edited by GBV8; 20 May 2012, 10:24.

Comment

Can you explain why its a good design? The other side would have been much better IMO.

The main intention was just to make it throatier without the dire heat-soak from an open cone.

I didn't think this would be an issue as the arches are high and many many cars have air intakes in the wheel arches. My Peugeot is one of them and I drove it in water coming up to the bottom of the windscreen and still got out.

I was thinking of a snorkel possibly later down the line. A snorkel on that side would no doubt be better anyway as the shorter pipe would mean a higher vacuum. so I could just extent the pipe up the arch and through the bottom of the wing anyway at a later date if I wanted to.

I was thinking about an intercooler, again later down the line although I have not found out how much it will cost yet or how much of a ball ache it will be. However I could just use a cheap cone in that case as heat-soak is not an issue on intercooled engines. If I do intercool it then I don't want to be left unnecessarily out of pocket and have a hole in my wing.

Do you have any relatives, living in Leigh, Lancashire?
                      " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                        A but Mr Tobyjug beat him to it years ago, 'O' how we laughed.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49651

Don't feed the Trolls this has to be a wind up.
                        That link is ,erm, amazing, i think.
                        Non consternationes.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                          Really?
                          Yes it didn't go well. It ran like crap and it had more water then oil inside it but I got it home and fixed it up.

How about I run the feed through the wheel arch as said and up through the bottom of the wing and put a small vent or snorkel top on the top of the wing? Like I said I wouldn't go that deep anyway. I have read on here that heat soak is still an issue although not as detrimental to a N/A engine.

Comment

I am all for good mods. Can I suggest one thing though? It might be prudent to get one of these to put on the end of the inlet pipe before the air filter when you move it to the wheel arch:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ers/index.html

This is one of those examples of where one technology can be used for a purpose it was not originally intended for! I used one on my last truck and it really helped make sure that the air was not only cold (the larger outlet pipe compared to the inlet means the air "decompreses" as it leaves the filter, causing it to cool rapidly by approx 9 degrees) AND it is also cleaned by the UV light. You just have to make sure that you change the bulb for a 12v one instead of the 240v one. Gave me huge performance gains, especially in reverse for some reason!

It also has a number of other benefits but I'll leave you to figure them out once you have fitted it.
                            ======
                            Just gotta finish doing the next mod...

Comment

Originally posted by andy_enuff View Post
                              I am all for good mods. Can I suggest one thing though? It might be prudent to get one of these to put on the end of the inlet pipe before the air filter when you move it to the wheel arch:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ers/index.html

This is one of those examples of where one technology can be used for a purpose it was not originally intended for! I used one on my last truck and it really helped make sure that the air was not only cold (the larger outlet pipe compared to the inlet means the air "decompreses" as it leaves the filter, causing it to cool rapidly by approx 9 degrees) AND it is also cleaned by the UV light. You just have to make sure that you change the bulb for a 12v one instead of the 240v one. Gave me huge performance gains, especially in reverse for some reason!

It also has a number of other benefits but I'll leave you to figure them out once you have fitted it.
                              The OP should be ok after all he can go wading in his pug ,perhaps after he has done all the plumbing he can post some pics
                              Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Working...
                              X