General suspension lift query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General suspension lift query

Starting on the whole suspension replacement route.

Only going for a 2" lift so nothing outrageous .

Still need good road handling but would like a little more clearance and rear axle articulation for off road.

So has anyone got any pointers, ideas or better still designs that I can copy for a set of quick release arb drop rods?

I know it is a noob question but as ever your comments or suggestions are greatly welcomed.
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/reviews/disconnects/
    http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/SwayBar.shtml
    http://www.robinhood4x4.com/qd.htm

Any good?

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
      Starting on the whole suspension replacement route.

Only going for a 2" lift so nothing outrageous .

Still need good road handling but would like a little more clearance and rear axle articulation for off road.

So has anyone got any pointers, ideas or better still designs that I can copy for a set of quick release arb drop rods?

I know it is a noob question but as ever your comments or suggestions are greatly welcomed.
      In reality you will gain no clearance increase, you will lift the cab height but the diffs will still be stock height. The only way to get true clearance increase is larger diameter rubber.
      Lifting the truck gives a better look in my opinion but does almost nothing in terms of offroad ability, unless the lift is extreme and increases the true lift.

My Jimny has 6" of lift and the arches cut by another 3". It runs 32" rubber which is a major upgrade from 28" standard. {making it 8" taller than a standard Jimny} The diffs now have the 12" of clearance which is more than a surf running 35s. Clearly this is a massive compromise when you drive on the road.

In simple terms a stock surf on 31" muds will do as well as a lifted surf on 31s, you will get a little more flex and a small benefit in tail clearance at drop offs but given the over hang the surf will always be compromised in that area.

So be clear why you want to spend money and what you will gain. For the look I would say do it, for an on and off road compromise leave it stock height fit muds that are not to aggressive and an air locker in the rear.

The jimny does great in stock trim with a set of 29" muds fitted and is still a great wee run around for the road, once you start messing with them you may as well go all the way. The surfs are the same, tyres make a massive increase in ability the rest is window dressing unless you go all out with large rubber re gearing and trick suspension.

Lifted looks cool thou so that is reason enough to do it, just understand why you are spending you cash.
      Last edited by yoshie; 7 January 2012, 19:26.
      Brian

Comment

Thanks for the replies
        @Vince cheers for the pics I think the last link 😉could be worth copying.

@Yoshie
        The main idea is to get some extra clearance and as the ass is sagging anyway it seemed like a time to start.
        I already have got hold of some TRD HD torsion and Arbs so only really going to be paying out for new rear shocks and springs,and new front shocks.
        Not going for a body lift but will get some mud bias tyres when the tyres on their get a bit more wear.

Unless that will give more issues?
        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Working...
        X