Tailgate Swap Spare Carrier/Non Carrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tailgate Swap Spare Carrier/Non Carrier

Im not keen on the arse end of my surf, I would prefere the clean non-spare carrier type.

>Would the 2 swap over and do all the mechanicals work the same?
    >Will there be great big holes in the rear quarter from hinges?

Originally posted by Sammyk View Post
    Im not keen on the arse end of my surf, I would prefere the clean non-spare carrier type.

>Would the 2 swap over and do all the mechanicals work the same?
    >Will there be great big holes in the rear quarter from hinges?
    As far as I know you can remove the carrier and you will be left with the mount holes in 1/4 panel . Either put some stainless bolts in and paint them body colour or try some rubber grommets . You will have to sort out the closing latch wire or you will have a light on the dash telling you the carrier is not locked in (same light as door ajar). You can fit the centre panel from a UK 4Runner to the tailgate to replace the lock panel to improve the finish of the tailgate . I may have a 'spare under' tailgate in the cellar with that panel on it if you want to fit one.
    You will need a 'spare under' carrier from a donor vehicle to mount under vehicle . Make sure you get the 2 bars that bolt to the chassis included or the spare will not mount correctly.
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Mmmmm, unless I change the whole door I will have bolt holes in the rear 1/4 and in the door panel. As for the spare I will throw it in the back.

How much for the whole tailgate?

I've also noticed that the rear 1/4 is creased where the carrier has been opened or blown open too far.

Comment

Mmmmm, unless I change the whole door I will have bolt holes in the rear 1/4 and in the door panel. As for the spare I will throw it in the back.

How much for the whole tailgate?

I've also noticed that the rear 1/4 is creased where the carrier has been opened or blown open too far.
        The tailgate is the same panel for 'spare under' and 'spare on tailgate' , its just a plastic centre panel you need which covers any bolt holes in tailgate. I am not sure of the condition of the tailgate but I am sure the plastic panel is good . The last one I tried to remove had corroded the nuts to the studs and could not get off . I wont be able to try till next weekend now.
        And you also need to move the window key switch to a new location in the tailgate .
        If you ask some members on here for tailgate pics of their trucks with spare under and spare on tailgate you will see the different location of key switches.Or you will have to put a blanking grommet in the hole in plastic cover you need.
        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

They are the same tailgate however, today I noticed a grommet on the right side for the lock barrel but also there are holes above and below the plastic panel in the middle of the tailgate, these are bolt holes for the snatch panel for the carrier.

I need a 4 Runner tailgate or an earlier Surf type, circa 93 as I've seen loads with spare under tailgates.

Comment

I need a 4 Runner tailgate or an earlier Surf type, circa 93 as I've seen loads with spare under tailgates.
            Any 2nd gen surf can have under or rear spare it dosn't matter what year you pick.

4runners and surfs have different number plate surrounds and reversing light locations, thats the only difference. As Rick said, panel is the same, just extra holes to fill if you convert a rear spare tailgate to centre number plate, but saves you trying find one the right colour.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Funny what different people like. I have the under slung spare and want to fit a carrier on the back.

If yours is a blue surf, then we could swap complete tailgates, spare tyre winch etc... That would be too easy hey !!

Comment

Erm, yes it's blue! How about that. If your up for it I am.

How would one fix the carrier to the 1/4 panel?

Comment

Erm, yes it's blue! How about that. If your up for it I am.

How would one fix the carrier to the 1/4 panel?
                  Sound like a good swap as we both get what we are after. I think I would have to drill the 1/4 panel and then some how brace it on the inside (think the bracing is welded to the inside of your 1/4 panel.

We will just have to try and find a time when we could meet up. My email is blyth.t@gmail.com.

Cheers

Tim

Comment

Did you read my e-mail?

Comment

haven't seen an email yet....

Comment

Originally posted by barnboy View Post
                        haven't seen an email yet....
                        Oh! Will try again.

Comment

Working...