re-gearing a lexurf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re-gearing a lexurf

swapped out the 4.56 rear diff for a 3.42 yesterday.

to get the crownwheel and pinion to fit i had to use a v6 housing. i also fitted a detroit true trac lsd.

now instead of 3270rpm @ 70mph i have 2370rpm @ 70mph.

its taken the edge off the acceleration (still silly fast for a 2 ton brick) but on a run today i'm getting 25 mpg at a steady 60-65 mph.

its definetly the way to go if you do a lot of m/way driving

next week ill fit the 3.42 and a true trac to the front to match.

im really impressed with the true trac lsd - its silent in all conditions and you wouldn't even know its there in the bendy bits. all the parts were supplied by inchworm in the us - crownwheel + pinion sets $210 and the true tracs $386 each. i also spent another $326 on bearings seals etc.
    Attached Files

fronts in

front diff rebuilt with an lsd and re-fitted - all ready for snow with lsd's at both ends.

i have a matching pair of built diffs for a 2nd gen left over for free if anyone wants them - work fine with no leaks.
    arrange a carrier and ill put them on a small pallet. £40 - £50 should get them to anywhere in the uk from holland
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by gary-r View Post
      swapped out the 4.56 rear diff for a 3.42 yesterday.
      I was looking to do a ratio change, is 3.42 as low as you can go?

Comment

Originally posted by Kwakka666 View Post
        I was looking to do a ratio change, is 3.42 as low as you can go?
        4.1 is the tallest standard ratio available for a surf (i think in the v6 petrol). the 3.42 is a custom fit in surf axles to raise the gearing for the v8. as far as i know no one has done it before.

a petrol or diesel 3.0L surf wont pull a 3.42 - it'll be slower than a milk float.

Comment

ahh.. so wait for the conversion then

cheers

Comment

Very nice gary, looking forward to your snow reports.
            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
              Very nice gary, looking forward to your snow reports.
              im expecting it to be a bit weird on ice and snow - i think the lsd's will make it entertaining.

tried it in mud and it works a treat - feathering the brakes makes it bite when you start to lose traction - on the road in dry or wet it behaves no different from the open diffs.

Comment

I've gone the other way.. From 4.3 to 4.56:1

With the 35" tyres my speedo is bang on again, was 5mph out on 31's (reading 35 @ 30)

After winter & with some stronger axle shafts I'll go 5.29:1 I rekon

Comment

front diff rebuilt with an lsd and re-fitted - all ready for snow with lsd's at both ends.

i have a matching pair of built diffs for a 2nd gen left over for free if anyone wants them - work fine with no leaks.
                  arrange a carrier and ill put them on a small pallet. £40 - £50 should get them to anywhere in the uk from holland
                  hallo heb je nog gekregen die diffs?
                  would they be as it says on the metal bit on the bulkhead;
                  A343F G144
                  A52

do you have an idea for delivery to ireland, co.Kerry?

heel erg bedankt
                  the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Nice!

Froma quiock google thsoe are torque sensetive limited slippers, as opposed to rev sensative lockers...

Is there a massive price difference, or certain advantage of one type over another?
                    More Lift.
                    More Tyres.
                    More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by budweiser View Post
                      hallo heb je nog gekregen die diffs?
                      would they be as it says on the metal bit on the bulkhead;
                      A343F G144
                      A52

do you have an idea for delivery to ireland, co.Kerry?

heel erg bedankt
                      no point in the dutch i'm from scotland good effort though

sorry the diffs went to bazcam last week - they live in liverpool now

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
                        Nice!

Froma quiock google thsoe are torque sensetive limited slippers, as opposed to rev sensative lockers...

Is there a massive price difference, or certain advantage of one type over another?
                        lockers are'nt really suited to daily road use (read up on them) unless you fit air ones - they are twice the price of a true track lsd.

i do a lot of m-way driving so lsd's were the best choice

Comment

Bazcam=Lexurf VIII.
                          Waiting outside, V8 waiting on the floor.

Comment

no point in the dutch i'm from scotland good effort though

wanted to practice the little i know hope i didnt make a mistake.

im too late
                            good job with that. i will keep it in my book to future reference.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                              Bazcam=Lexurf VIII.
                              Waiting outside, V8 waiting on the floor.
                              just saw this, sure you will do better use than me!

Comment

Working...
                              X