Wading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wading

Apart from a snorkle and extended dif breaters what other mods are required for wading?

[SIZE=7][COLOR=YellowGreen][SIZE=5][FONT=Comic Sans MS]The difference between the men and the boys .................... the price of their toys ![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Originally posted by UKWolf
    Apart from a snorkle and extended dif breaters what other mods are required for wading?

How about a BIG towel ????
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
      How about a BIG towel ????
      I thought the idea is to stay in the car - could always be wrong though

[SIZE=7][COLOR=YellowGreen][SIZE=5][FONT=Comic Sans MS]The difference between the men and the boys .................... the price of their toys ![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Well you DID say "wading" !!!!!!!

But if you staying in the car a Surf would need that BIG towel to get dry.

Trev

Comment

How about the electrics ??? may need protection.

No point in going paddling if you cannot have the air con on ??

Sewerat Bob
          [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Magenta][SIZE=2][B]SEWERAT BOB[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen][I][COLOR=Lime][B]I just sit here & looks out to sea or if i'm really rushed then i just sits here & continues to look out to sea[/B][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Sewerat
            How about the electrics ??? may need protection.

No point in going paddling if you cannot have the air con on ??

Sewerat Bob
            Want to cool off ? why not take a swim ?

Trev

Comment

Are diff breathers a definate mod for occasional deep muddy muddles/very deep muddy puddles or do you really need them only when river crossing up to yer arse in water?

If so can I connect a peice of tubing straight onto the existing breathers or do I need to replace them with something else?

And wheres the best place to end them? Anywhere in the engine bay or maybe tapped into the airbox? Or will the air pressure cause a vacuum in the diff? Just thinking about a later snorkel thats all.
              I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Diff breathers are a easy mod that dosn't hurt to do anyway. The sprung caps on the original breathers often jam open, letting water in when underwater, or jam shut, causing oil leaks around the diff or axle seals.

The easiest option is to prise the cap and spring off, then fit some pipe over the fitting thats left with a jubilee clip, then run the pipes up to somewhere high (bulkhead or high on inner wing) Then put a small filter on the end to stop dirt getting in, like a inline fuel filter, or a small rocker box breather filter.

I wouldn't connect it to the airbox, unless you want to add diff oil to you air/fuel mixture!

Do the same for any gearbox/Transfer case breathers as well.

Originally posted by Danno
                Are diff breathers a definate mod for occasional deep muddy muddles/very deep muddy puddles or do you really need them only when river crossing up to yer arse in water?

If so can I connect a peice of tubing straight onto the existing breathers or do I need to replace them with something else?

And wheres the best place to end them? Anywhere in the engine bay or maybe tapped into the airbox? Or will the air pressure cause a vacuum in the diff? Just thinking about a later snorkel thats all.
                Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Thanx for that Linda.

I was thinking of Banjo bolts and braided hose and st/st tube. (does anyone know what thread is on the fittings/diffs/boxes

What about electrics?
                  Is there a recommended max wading depth? assuming no lifts and no currents ie how good are the door seals and other bodywork penetrations

Comment

Originally posted by UKWolf
                    Thanx for that Linda.

I was thinking of Banjo bolts and braided hose and st/st tube. (does anyone know what thread is on the fittings/diffs/boxes

What about electrics?
                    Is there a recommended max wading depth? assuming no lifts and no currents ie how good are the door seals and other bodywork penetrations

I personally wouldn't go above about 1/2 height on the doors, mainly because if there is any movement in the water you a liable to be washed away.

The door seals are very good, most of the electrics are well protected either inside the passenger cell or pretty high up. If you have a fly by wire throttle the actuator is at the top of the engine.

The only electrics you might want to worry about are the starter and alternator (give them a good coating of WD40 and it should be OK, other than that they will dry out anyway but may give you some strange electrical problems if they do get wet for a while.

I have seen pictures of surfs in water up to the top of the bonnet, so it is possible.

And just to re-iterate, the door seals are really good so you should have no problem with water ingress as long as you are below the windows.

Cheers

Comment

This might help a little?

http://www.difflock.com/offroad/lesson7.shtml

Mark
                      :

Comment

Originally posted by silvtr1000
                        This might help a little?

http://www.difflock.com/offroad/lesson7.shtml

Mark
                        Nice one - good article that, well worth the read.

I was also thinking of changing all the electrical connectors to marine ones - higher level of vibration and water resistance.

Comment

Can anyone tell me where the transfer box & transmission breathers are? I've done my diffs already. Do they have the same thread size as the diffs?

Mark
                          :

Comment

the transfer box & transmission breathers are on top near the front of each unit. They are very hard (if not impossible) to get to when the gearbox/Tcase are in place. I had my engine out last year & was going to do gearbox/tcase @ the same time,I could see them but couldn't get to them so I didn't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by swagman View Post
                              the transfer box & transmission breathers are on top near the front of each unit. They are very hard (if not impossible) to get to when the gearbox/Tcase are in place. I had my engine out last year & was going to do gearbox/tcase @ the same time,I could see them but couldn't get to them so I didn't bother.
                              You can get to the transmission breather easy from above,Under the gear shroud, Take this out and there is a pannel with 6 or 8 bolts and the breather is right there,It can be done from under the truck if you have body lift just done it 10 mins ago.
                              As for the breather parts go on to ebay buy a landrover wadeing kit,has all the bits you need and they the same as the surf,30 puid you get all the fittings and all PUSH FIT very very good kits took about 1 hour to do it,but i would recomend having all the pipes coming up at the top of your snorkel and use the T pieces 2 diffs to one pipe and transfer to transmission to 1 also hope this helps
                              Not going to rest till its broke

Comment

Working...
                              X