Dynamic AWD....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynamic AWD....

Just a few Q's about the dynamic AWD system on my 3rd gen ssrg.

Whats the difference between the electric 4x4 worked by the switch only, and 4x4 pulling the lever back only?

I noticed just using the switch the orange light in the middle flashes for a little while and then dissappears leaving four green lights on, and flashes for a bit then goes off when switching off, and when just the lever is used i get four green lights on plus the one in the middle permanently on.

Can anyone explain the differences please?

Also, does the electric 4x4 switch make any difference when it's pressed, in addition to running 4x4 via the lever?

Thanks in advance.
    Now it's time to play!

All off is 2WD, Button on is AWD, green lights on, lever back is 4WD (center diff locked, the orange light on)

Only use 2WD or AWD on hard surfaces.

4WD when your offroad in the mud, sand or loose dirt.

It will select 4WD when you pull the lever back regarless of switch position, the switch is only to choose between 2WD and AWD.

Flashing lights are to indicate its still sorting itself out and not fully selected yet or have a problem is they keep flashing.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks for that.

In which case would i be right in saying that AWD is probably ok for wet/sodden flat fields, muddy roads, ice, or a few inches of snow?
      Now it's time to play!

Comment

You can use AWD (four green lights) anytime, wet or dry roads.

4WD (four green lights and orange dot) on loose surfaces only.

Comment

Seems sensible just to leave it in 2WD most of the time as even in the wet i probably wouldn't use AWD unless i'm told AWD is adviseable in the wet, if the Surf has odd handling traits in the wet and 2WD mode, in which case i'll use AWD.

My Subaru has permanent AWD and rear LSD and it's nothing short of awesome in the wet and snow/ice, so i understand the advantages of AWD however, it's highly unlikely i'll ever drive my Surf like my Subaru.

I figure that 2WD saves on much wear and tear on the front tyres otherwise it wouldn't be an option.
          Now it's time to play!

Comment

plus the Japs like pressing buttons, all UK Colorados and I think Prados too don't have the 2WD option, just AWD or 4WD, so I can't see it makes that much difference TBH.

But its kinda pointless on 90% of your driving, so may as well save wear on front diff and t/case and make the most of the option to have 2WD.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Didn't think of the wear and tear on front drivetrain. Sounds good to me!!

One last question.....LSD...not the drug mind, just the diff.

Did any Surf come with LSD rear/front or is this something i'll have to sort myself??
              Now it's time to play!

Comment

some surfs come wit an lsd....mine has one an its decent enough in the slippery stuff wen it locks

Comment

Originally posted by ROMEROTECH View Post
                  ...unless i'm told AWD is adviseable in the wet, if the Surf has odd handling traits in the wet and 2WD mode
                  AWD is advisable in the wet and the Surf has odd handling traits in the wet and 2WD mode.

(Unless you drive it really slowly).
                  Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Originally posted by J i m s t e r View Post
                    AWD is advisable in the wet and the Surf has odd handling traits in the wet and 2WD mode.

(Unless you drive it really slowly).

Say that again.

Comment

I have to say that i've driven in some pretty awful downpours in my truck, and whether it's just started raining and the roads are greasy, soaking wet A, B, and Motorway roads, and gone through standing water at 75-80 on the motorway, i've never experienced any odd handling traits.

In fact it's always felt rock steady and safe which is why i've never had the inckling to use AWD in the wet.
                      Now it's time to play!

Comment

More noticeable on roundabouts than in a straight line. And under hard braking. Must be me, then? Slowing down and swapping rubber (currently GG AT2's) could work I suppose. Although to be fair I don't drive on the raggedy edge.
                        Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

I've got NangKangs on the back and Duelers on the front. As i've no intentions of doing anything off road for the moment road tyres fit the bill very nicely.

I've got to rotate the these tyres pretty soon so i'll see if putting the nangkangs on the front makes a difference. If it does affect the handling negatively i'll swap back.

I can't imagine an AT tyre will be as good as a road tyre on the road, and equally the other way around when off-road.
                          Now it's time to play!

Comment

Working...
                          X