Maximum diff drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximum diff drop

I want to add my 2" ball joint spacers and get the most lift to reduce rub on 33" tyres so I want to add a bit of height with the torsion bars too.

Can I drop the diff more than an inch? That does seem to be the standard drop on most people's lift but I want to get 2" lift on the spacers and then 1" to 1.5" on the torsion bars too without smashing my CV joints. I know it affects the mud clearance but I'm 80% on road anyway and I can't afford manual hubs at the moment.

If acheiving 3"+ by this method, even with a diff drop, is a bad idea then please say.

Thanks,

Ray.
    I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

If you're fitting 2" B/J spacers then you don't need to drop the diff. The lower wishbones remain in the stock position so C/V angles aren't affected.

Comment

umm, you do Vince. the top wishbone stays the same, and it pushes the lower wishbone down without adjusting the T/bars.

1" is the most its sensible to drop the diff or the rear of the diff is to low.

plus the prop will hit a standard exhaust with anymore drop.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

But I fitted some 1 1/2" spacers to a 4Runner a few weeks ago and the bottom wishbones are level.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          But I fitted some 1 1/2" spacers to a 4Runner a few weeks ago and the bottom wishbones are level.
          Alan fitted 2" spacers on his and wound the bars back a bit cv angles look great.
          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            LOL, 'praps the laws of physics are different in wales.

Did you back the back the T/bars off at all? Like Yoshie said, it lets you keep the bars unstressed while still giving lift.

But the t/bars are fixed to top wishbones, so they shouldn't move when just fitting spacers and not messing with anything else????

Comment

Yep, the top wishbone stays where it is, it's the bottom one that moves.

The driveshaft angles are acceptible at rest, but they are much lower than standard when at full droop, hence the diff drop to keep them in check.

Vince - Perhaps the (now out of kilter) bushes are altering how the suspension is sitting? Did you slacken them off, then re-tighten them when the truck's weight was on the suspension, after you fitted the spacers?
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

In answer to the original question, about an inch is enough.
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post

The driveshaft angles are acceptible at rest, but they are much lower than standard when at full droop, hence the diff drop to keep them in check.
                  You really notice it when the truck is jacked up and the wheel hanging, sometimes you'll feel the CV's catching as you spin the wheel. Imagine getting some air while on the throttle and it catching like that, not great.

Biosurfs truck suffered badly from this when I had it here recently, and was leaking badly from the bush in the side of the diff due to the strain on the CV's. The diff drop fixed it nicely without losing any lift.

Comment

Blimey, I think I'm losing it!

It's all the Belming on here recently, it's contagious.

Comment

Thanks people, I'll machine some up at 1"!

3.5" lift, here I come!

Cheers,

Ray.
                      I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

Working...
                      X