Wheel spaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel spaces

Has anyone had issues with locking wheel nuts breaking when using wheel spacers ???

Using steel modular wheels and ally spacers , it appears that the locking nuts are bottoming out
    Last edited by BioHazard; 21 November 2010, 00:35.
    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Mine with alloys are fine.

Steel wheels usually have a thinner flange - so stud will protrude further through them.

what do you mean by bottoming out? Do your spacer studs have a plain portion on the shank? (Roughtrax ones don't)

Or do you mean locking nut bites on spacer before it is clamping the wheel? If this is so , then:

a. The holes in the wheels are too large
    b. Locking nuts have the wrong seat angle

Possibly,

c. You are using nuts designed for Alloy wheels on steel wheels.

(steel wheels usually use nuts with floating washers, alloy wheels do not - IMO)

Comment

answered over the road, can't be arsed to type it again.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Good. The next person who has a similar problem can PM you directly for the answer, rather than clog up the interweb with questions.

Comment

LOL, we'll see how excited you still are after posting the same crap 13,000+ times....

Anyway, the answer is usually line 2 of your post, so no point in repeating it.

and seeing as you poked me, the last statment is wrong, Toyota alloys use shouldered nuts, and steels are all tapered, as are 99% of all aftermarket steel wheels.

I need a shower and shave, don't want to all smelly for Bio and Stein tomorrow....

Night internet world....
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

That wasn't a poke!

I'm sure you're right about the washer bit.

It's just that my truck wheel nuts have floating conical washers.
            As does my Prius (yes, yes. I know)
            My L/R Defender ones have flat floating washers.
            As does my Citroen CX Gti Turbo II,
            and my Rover SD1.

All factory supplied nuts for alloys.

In the past i've had trouble finding locking nuts/bolts with suitable cone angle/diameter - even some that EBay says are correct (fancy that!)

Our views and opinions can be skewed by what we have actually observed, rather than what can be "fact"

I must just be drawn to the 1% exception of vehicles that prove your rule.

Comment

I've just read my posts! Oops! I got my 1st one wrong - I knew what I meant, just typed the opposite (about washers). Rather than edit it, I'll leave it there and add this apology

There must be an alcohol level where I should move on to another site (LROC maybe)

Please feel free to mock me!

Comment

Working...
              X