Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overlanding thoughts

Hi all,

I currently planning an overloading holiday to Morocco and have a Surf in mind for the trip. I have a few ideas about various modifications relevant for such journey.

1. Snorkel for any river crossings,
    2. 2" suspension lift,
    3. 31" All Terrain tyres on steels,
    4. Expedition style roof rack to carry jerry cans, waffle boards etc.
    5. Extra lighting front and rear
    6. Wading kit for diff and transfer box,
    7. 2 x spare wheels (1 underneath and 1 on rear turrets carrier),

Has anyone done any overlanding in a Surf before? If so, I would appreciate any hints, tips or advice. Specifically with regards the lift. I've read on here about using Landcruiser springs and think they'd be better suited as the are stiffer and would support the extra weight better, but; although people keep saying they're cheaper, it seems to me that by the time you pay for the required springs seats, they've become more expensive!

I look forward to your responses, many thanks.

Gav

Sent from my HTC

i had the l/cruiser springs on my old 3.0 for several years and i never had the seats and i never had a problem.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Did you do a lot of off roading with them fitted? The last thing I want to happen in the middle of the desert is for a spring to unseat at a critical moment!

Comment

my truck was well and truely abused off road.I'll post up some pics if i can find them of the articulation i had and i also had no top bump stops either so there was more risk of the springs coming out then if the stops were in place

Comment

Hi Stormforce,

That sound optimistic, any photos would be much appreciated. How much lift did you get? About 3"?

Comment

3" suspension lift and 2" body lift
            The last pic you can see theres no bump stops on the rear and the spring is still in place

Comment

Thanks for the photos mate, that's my mind pretty much made up. Nice truck, good to see it put to proper use!

Comment

that truck has gone to surf heaven now which is a shame as it was a nice truck
                if you go the l/c spring route then you need to order the hd j80 rear springs from milners and they will give instant 3" lift

Comment

Originally posted by Surfs:up View Post
                  Hi all,

I currently planning an overloading holiday to Morocco and have a Surf in mind for the trip. I have a few ideas about various modifications relevant for such journey.

1. Snorkel for any river crossings,
                  2. 2" suspension lift,
                  3. 31" All Terrain tyres on steels,
                  4. Expedition style roof rack to carry jerry cans, waffle boards etc.
                  5. Extra lighting front and rear
                  6. Wading kit for diff and transfer box,
                  7. 2 x spare wheels (1 underneath and 1 on rear turrets carrier),

Has anyone done any overlanding in a Surf before? If so, I would appreciate any hints, tips or advice. Specifically with regards the lift. I've read on here about using Landcruiser springs and think they'd be better suited as the are stiffer and would support the extra weight better, but; although people keep saying they're cheaper, it seems to me that by the time you pay for the required springs seats, they've become more expensive!

I look forward to your responses, many thanks.

Gav

Sent from my HTC

Hi Gav,

I'm planning the same thing. Best advice I can think of is to make sure all your
                  suspension bushes / shocks / steering joints / wheel bearings /brakes are in good order. Give the cooling system a flush, new thermostat / rad cap. Check the radiator and renew if it's looking old / tired. Fit an atf cooler. Obviously do a full service on the truck.

I'm working my way through all the above with new components. Which is why my 3.0 hasn't moved since January .....

Look into BJ spacers for the front lift. I'd just buy the correct 2" lift springs from Roughtrax as your not fitting 33's so don't need 3" lift at the rear.

I prefer my truck with it's uprated torsion bars when it's fully loaded - stops the front diving when braking downhill and drives nicer. Most people here will disagree with that but it works very well for me.

Have a look at Expedition Portal Forum for all overlanding questions.

Rob.

Comment

i would reccomend the book saraha overland by chris scott everything you ever need to know in there a lot more than just what to do to the truck but how to pack it, what to take, how to drive over different terrain etc! and also has routes all over north africa best £15 you will spend!
                    http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55797

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy77 View Post
                      i would reccomend the book saraha overland by chris scott everything you ever need to know in there a lot more than just what to do to the truck but how to pack it, what to take, how to drive over different terrain etc! and also has routes all over north africa best £15 you will spend!

He's not too kind about surfs in there though is he ? At least he said the 3.0 ain't terrible.......

Comment

What does he drive? Landrover?

Most people who use Landys are unkind about Hilux. Just one of those facts of life like 'dogs chase cats' etc.

Personally I'd say a good 50% of your chance of getting from A to B is down to how your driving skills are and how good you are at reading the terrain, not how much money you spent on lockers and winches, and what brand you drive.

The guide on the trip I did would radio the convoy telling us we'd need 'low ratio and diffs locked' (for example) for the next bit. Us being in a 2nd gen didn't have some of these luxuries, but by studying what we were about to drive through got through anyway with some care and careful choosing of lines. The same cant be said for a couple of the blinged up, winch fitted Landy's who were defeated so were turned round and met us again further down the trail.

I think sometimes its just better to fully understand the capability of the vehicle you have, and work cleverly within its limitations than just to throw thousands at lockers and winches etc but not really understand how to pick a good line through obstacles.

The prep you are doing sounds well thought out to me. Don't go nuts, just make sure what you do have works properly, is well serviced and strong. Careful selection of spares will keep weight down.

So I dont have to repeat myself, my findings are in post 6 of this

BTW, I had 'cruiser springs on mine, but I had proper seats too. They do support huge weight too!
                        Last edited by Apache; 24 October 2010, 11:17.
                        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                          What does he drive? Landrover?

The book covers all marques pretty fairly - Landcruisers and Toyota in general get good comments.("build quality and comfort of the 80 and 100 series are unrivalled" "the big 1HZ engine is one of the best non turbo diesels around") He seems to have driven everything tbh. On the 4runner/surf he says "if not pushed hard or overloaded.....the lighter build will last. The relatively small engine will, of course, be flat out in deep sand and may overheat at low speeds with a tailwind"

Sounds about right to me.. It's a good book btw. Worth a look.
                          Last edited by wishbone; 24 October 2010, 12:43.

Comment

Working...
                          X