Extended diff breathers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extended diff breathers

Having a couple of hours free this afternoon another cheap and easy mod got under way.

The diff breathers screw into the diffs, plus there is one in the gearbox and one in the transfer box. The breathers allow air to escape as the oil heats up and expands and should prevent water or other crud getting in.

Once unscrewed, use a screwdriver to lever the cap off and you are left with the body, the spring, the rubber seal and the cap.

a quick clean with a wire brush and then a length of 8mm bore PVC pipe can be pushed on. Warming the pipe helps if it's a bit stiff

I routed the rear diff pipe along the axle, up the brake pipe and then drilled a hole through the lower quarter. The pipe then had a disposable fuel filter fitted to the end of it - to stop any spiders making their home in my diff! and tucked up inside the rear pillar

I also noticed a bif of rust starting to appear in the corner of the rear quarter, so that got a good squirt of Waxoyl too

The front diff was a bit of a pain as there is not much clearance between the breather and the sump. I routed the pipe from this one up into the back corner of the engine bay, near the servo.

I'll do the gearbox and transfer one tomorrow. Just not sure where to bring the pipes up into yet.

I only wish I had done this before I covered the underside of the car in Waxoyl as it's a sod to get off of you!

Regards

TFB

I would suggest moving the filters tto the bulk head or similar.
    In the cab can get a bit smelly.

Fornt is a pain but an elbow joint makes it easier mate.

Well done
    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
      I would suggest moving the filters tto the bulk head or similar.
      In the cab can get a bit smelly.
      I think I must be a bit odd... I like the smell of diff oil.
      Nice one on the mod and pics. Good luck with the gear and transfer box I understand they're quite challenging. Looking forward to the write up

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
        I think I must be a bit odd... I like the smell of diff oil.
        you are sick! diff and gearbox oil is foul

Well, fitted the transfer and gearbox breathers this morning. Access to the transfer breather is easy through the top by removing the centre console and shifter. It's just to the left of the transfer lever mounting plate.

The gearbox breather is a sod, even with the body lift I couldn't see it. Working by feel it's a little plastic spigot coming out of the box near the bellhousing with a 6" long soft rubber pipe on it.
        I ended up just pulling the rubber pipe off of the spigot and fitting my PVC pipe with a little spring clip.

The PVC pipes were zip tied to the existing wiring loom and then onto the fuel lines and up to a couple more filters in the corner of the engine bay.

I then took the car for a little run down some of the local lanes...they were as dry as bone and the dust was terrible....lots of black bogies now

Regards

TFB

Comment

Not sure if it will help with regards to clearance as I have only done this to the diff breather but, dismantle the breather, clean up the threaded section and glue and/or chemical metal a short (4 inch) length of copper brake pipe into it. Make a small (1mm) cut in the copper pipe with a hacksaw on the threaded side and with the nose of needle pliers etc tap down on the inside of the copper pipe to flare the end - securing it in the housing. Do this before the glue dries. Personally I glue it and then chemical metal the exterior into a cone shape. This way I know it's secure and waterproof.
          Fit the breather back then carefully bend the copper pipe in the direction you want it. All you need then is a thin hose to slide over the copper pipe and cable tie it on. I always run mine into the top of the engine bay.
          From the rear axle breather you will need about 4 metres of hose.
          It appears to me that the previous method in this thread may suffer from the 8mm hose coming off the breather especially if caught on debris or at an acute angle.

Comment

Originally posted by ajstars View Post
            Not sure if it will help with regards to clearance as I have only done this to the diff breather but, dismantle the breather, clean up the threaded section and glue and/or chemical metal a short (4 inch) length of copper brake pipe into it. Make a small (1mm) cut in the copper pipe with a hacksaw on the threaded side and with the nose of needle pliers etc tap down on the inside of the copper pipe to flare the end - securing it in the housing. Do this before the glue dries. Personally I glue it and then chemical metal the exterior into a cone shape. This way I know it's secure and waterproof.
            Fit the breather back then carefully bend the copper pipe in the direction you want it. All you need then is a thin hose to slide over the copper pipe and cable tie it on. I always run mine into the top of the engine bay.
            From the rear axle breather you will need about 4 metres of hose.
            It appears to me that the previous method in this thread may suffer from the 8mm hose coming off the breather especially if caught on debris or at an acute angle.
            Or you can buy 1/8 bsp elbows with push fit for the pipe and run to a push fit manifold on the bulkhead👍

Comment

Working...
            X