Body lift kits & wheels??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body lift kits & wheels??

Hi guys!! I've been doing my homework on body lifts, suspension lifts etc... I was just wondering where the best place 2 get a body lift kit is from?... I notice Milners do one, but it doesn't include radiator or bumper brackets!... Also, if ure going 2 lift a Surf using the Labdcruiser spring method, where is the best place to get the caps for the top of the springs 2 stop them coming off the top of the shocks?? I've read u have 2 do this because the LC springs are larger & can come undone from the top of a set of Hilux Surf +2 shocks??... Also, are the steel wheels that Roughtrax sell (the white ones) big enough to fit 33 tyres to?? If not, where is the best place 2 get steel wheels that will fit 33s?... Thanx for letting me pick ur brains guys!!

Outrageous offroad for the LC locators. Might do the body lift too not sure. If not 4crawler in the USA.

Rtax wheels too narrow - at least 15x8 I believe. Try Silverline for 15x10 black modulars.

Comment

There are people who run 33x12.5 on their standard 15" 7J wheels, it can help reduce the width if you are having rubbing issues as the offset is not as far out and the standing tyre width is reduced slightly.
      I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

Originally posted by lord_flashart View Post
        There are people who run 33x12.5 on their standard 15" 7J wheels, it can help reduce the width if you are having rubbing issues as the offset is not as far out and the standing tyre width is reduced slightly.
        ??? So I could get away with fitting 33's on a set of regular 15" steel wheels??... Is this perfectly OK or could I rip the rubber off the rim?...

Comment

As with most mods it's open to debate but people, apparently, do it and don't have problems. Some rubbing on the chassis rails possible due to offset but if you shift the offset out too far you get rubbing on the bumper and body work.
          I had 15x8 steel modulars with 32mm offset and 33x12.5" BFG Mud Terrains and had to sell the wheels again as even after 2" suspension and 2" bodt lift, sabre saw work on the bumper valance and front mud guards removed it rubbed really badly and I didn't have time to take a hammer to the body work!

I'll try again one day when cash and time are both available!

Which steel wheels are you talking about? What's the offset? As far as I'm aware the only standard steel Surf wheels are the chrome ones from the narrow body version? If those are what you have then you'll definately need spacers. The standard surf alloys are out further to fill the wide body arches which would be the bare minimum.
          I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

Which steel wheels are you talking about? What's the offset?

These wheels. I'll measure the backspacing in a minute as I've got one in my garage (brand new and open to offers )

Rob.

Comment

Backspacing same as original alloys - 3.75"

Cheers,
              Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
                These wheels. I'll measure the backspacing in a minute as I've got one in my garage (brand new and open to offers )

Rob.
                Yeah, they're the ones Wishbone!! so , if I do lift the truck 4/5 inches then a set of 33/12.5s will actually fit these without 2 much fuss will they?? Not too worried about a tiny bit of rubbing cos only use the truck onthe road & not offroad so don't think i'll need as much clearance!! cheers guys!!

Comment

For steel wheels I'd be looking at the 15 x 10 modulars from Silverline that Apache fitted to his old truck. I'm sure he said he had no rubbing with the LC80 springs and Bodylift.

Do a search and find out what offset he had.

I've read on here that some tyre places refuse to fit 12.5's to 7" rims so maybe worth a search too.

Rob.

Comment

As with most mods it's open to debate but people, apparently, do it and don't have problems. Some rubbing on the chassis rails possible due to offset but if you shift the offset out too far you get rubbing on the bumper and body work.
                    I had 15x8 steel modulars with 32mm offset and 33x12.5" BFG Mud Terrains and had to sell the wheels again as even after 2" suspension and 2" bodt lift, sabre saw work on the bumper valance and front mud guards removed it rubbed really badly and I didn't have time to take a hammer to the body work!

I'll try again one day when cash and time are both available!

Which steel wheels are you talking about? What's the offset? As far as I'm aware the only standard steel Surf wheels are the chrome ones from the narrow body version? If those are what you have then you'll definately need spacers. The standard surf alloys are out further to fill the wide body arches which would be the bare minimum.
                    That's unusual? I thought that if u lift the truck 4/5 inches with a body lift & suspension lift then u should have no problems with 33's???? Makes me wonder whether it'll be less grief to just lift the truck a couple of inches or so & stick with 31's ??? They're pretty chunky anyway & would look proper trick with a set of spacers on them Only inside the arches of course!!

Comment

My 31's rub on full lock if the truck bounces a little bit due to the spacers I fitted.... 1.5" lift no body lift.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
                        My 31's rub on full lock if the truck bounces a little bit due to the spacers I fitted.... 1.5" lift no body lift.
                        I think this may be the way to go- the tyres might not be quite as big but if u get a set of 31 mud tyres they're pretty chunky anyway & with a set of spacers will look well trick & maybe just stick with a 2" bodylift or something?? might be the way forward & a lot less grief and playing about!!

Comment

Anyone else got any comments on this cos I know loads of u guys on here run 33's but it seems that some of you get away with it just fine & others find it's a real pain & takes a lot of fiddling and adjusting to drive the truck on 33s without them rubbing, banging & clanging & the tyres being destroyed!!! Danny

Comment

It's going to cost you a lot more to get 33's on than 31's so you need to decide what you want.

Fitting 33's on a 2.4 that is a daily driver is not a good idea in my opinion. The 2.4 is already slow enough without having to turn bigger heavier wheels and tyres so MPG will suffer. Ideally you would re-gear it to a better ratio to help with the power loss (big money). You will also need new wheels, BJ spacers, a panhard drop bracket or extended panhard rod, longer rear brake line, Longer rear shock absorbers, a set of lift springs or spacers, a Load compensator spacer bracket, extended rear roll bar drop links. - oh and a 2" bodlift kit too... Some people will be along soon to tell you that some of the bits I've listed are unnecessary on a 2" sus lift. I did them all to my truck so have listed them all here. Also a set of manual hubs helps with the front cv boots too..

Fitting 31's involves buying some new tyres, getting a un-noticable power loss and MPG hit and the option of a bodylift if you want it to look higher.

Big difference in the amount of work and the amount of money.

After saying all that I'm going to fit 33's to my 3.0. - Because I like the way they look

Comment

I have to agree with u there Wishbone... I've already got 31s & they look pucka!! Just fancied a set of 33s but it is a lot of buggering about to move up a tyre size!! Lol!.. Think I'll stick with a 2" body lift & a set of spacers & just replace my tyres for the Kumho MT tyres sometime- the treads on them are pure aggressive! Lol!...

Comment

Working...
                              X